New horsefield tortoise owner, advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipaw

5 Year Member
Hi, I recently bought two horsefield tortoises, my dad has said that they don't need feeding everyday but I was sure that they do, please could someone give me some advice on how much and how often I should feed them? They have just turned 2 years old.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Welcome! I think they do need feeding everyday. I don't believe in overfeeding, but I believe in keeping them healthy thru a balanced diet. Feeding regular meals, at regular times, will also tell you how healthy they are; i.e., if they refuse food, you will know something is wrong and that gives you a chance to act accordingly. Please post pictures, when you can. We'd love to see their pictures. :)

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

ipaw

5 Year Member
Thank you that is very helpful! So far I have been feeding them regularly every day and they seem to be doing really well so I shall keep doing what I'm doing! Here is a picture of one :D ImageUploadedByTortForum1377597670.985283.jpg still having difficulty thinking of names though, such a hard decision!
Thanks again :D

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1377597608.491664.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1377597608.491664.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Some people prefer feeding the amount the tortoise can eat in an hour, and feeding every other day. It's really your choice. And welcome!

Sent from my iPod touch using TortForum mobile app

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Welcome to the forum! Cute Russian tortoise you have there. :)

I feed the amount of green leafy plants that are about the size of each tortoise's shell (loosely placed, of course... not packed down). Since I have multiple tortoises, they never take an hour to eat, they chow down like crazy, and then the food is gone. ;) But if there is always food left over, you might be offering too much. If he snarfs it down and then seems to be looking for more, it might not be enough. Feeding a tortoise is very much eye-balling it... and different experts will give you different answers. I feed mine every day, but usually have them fast 1 day per week.

Status
Not open for further replies.