New

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmc990811

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Merritt Island, Florida
Hello,

I am from Merritt Island, Florida and I have a few questions.

When we got Yoshi last week out baby Sulcata we were told that we didn't need a lamp or anything by the guy who gave him to us. He raises and sells Sulcatas. Because we have a lot of sun that would be good enough for Yoshi is what he said. He never told us how old Yoshi is but I think he is only about 1 or 2 months. The guy said we could feed Yoshi Romaine Lettuce but I have recently found out we need to give him grass. I've made an enclosure for Yoshi of 50/50 mix sand and soil. Because he is so small I made it with a plastic container and gave him a house by cutting a plastic pot in half. I am bathing Yoshi nightly in luke warm water and drying him off with paper towel. Yoshi goes outside at 9.30 or 10 am and I don't bring him in until dusk. He stays in his enclosure and I just move that. At night after his soak (bath) he goes into our closet and stays there at night. Our temp today is 80 outside but I don't know if that is warm enough. Any Advice will be helpful.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi cmc990811, and welcome to the Forum!!

For someone who raises sulcatas to sell, he sure didn't give you very much or even the right info about caring for a baby. There are some good instructions for you to read:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-18448.html#axzz2C2GtTb8A

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-22635.html#axzz1bv5qbbcz

If you keep your baby in the house very much then he will need a light or heat source. They must be able to warm up to at least 80-85F degrees in order to digest their food. But they also need to get warmer than that occasionally. That's why we like to have it about 100F degrees directly under the light, then fading to about 80F as you move away from the light. A baby outside can sit in the sun and get as warm as he needs to get (even though the ambient temp is only 80F), but a baby in the house must have a light to get warm.

Also, romaine is ok, but not really the best diet for a baby. And they won't usually start eating hay or grass for a couple years. For outside, you can feed them weeds, but if you have none, then dark leafy greens from the store.

Read the links I gave you and if you have more questions, we're glad to help you.

cmc990811

5 Year Member
Merritt Island, Florida
I am sorry if I end up repeating myself or sound stupid but I have dyslexia and tend to get everything mixed up that I read.
Yoshi is outside during the day in the sun and I can have him there if the temp isn't below 80? So at night when he is in the house cause the temp does drop to below 75 at night right now I need to have a lamp of some sort? If I need a lamp which one do I get exactly and it really needs to be something that isn't that expensive please. I was told no coil bulbs is this true?

I used a 50/50 mix play sand and soil for his enclosure so I need to change it cause sand is bad for them? I will try to attach a picture of his enclosure that I made for him.

photo 1.JPG

If anyone lives near me I wouldn't mind if they stopped by to show me what I am doing wrong and help me do it better.

Last edited by a moderator:

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome. I'd like to see what his adults look like. You need an indoor setup for a little one and romaine isn't going to cut it. Not sure it they are the same, but, below my signature are some threads on everything you need to know about raising a healthy baby sulcata, that Tom has put together. Please read them. You will find answers there...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) you already were given the great threads to read. Getting your baby out in the sun everyday is fantastic. Just make sure the temps are not below 80. Now, with him outside everyday, you don't need a UVB light for indoors, but you do need a heat light for indoors. Also, when he is outside, be sure he has shade to get into should he get too warm. Also, humidity in Florida is great for torts, but make sure there is water available to him 24/7.

cmc990811

5 Year Member
Merritt Island, Florida
I am searching for a water bowl for Yoshi that I know she/he won't get hurt with and is big enough for yoshi too. I've ordered a grass seed mix for sulcatas and until than I'll feed yoshi grass from our yard. Is the substrate I made for yoshi ok? It's a 50/50 mix of play sand and soil. Also the container yoshi is in is the one he's in all time indoors and out. There is a half of a plastic plant pot in there for shade. What type of heat lamp do I need? I keep my house temp at 70 because its the best temp for me and daughter we both have asthma.

I weighed yoshi today and he/she is 35grams. I'm not sure how old yoshi is. I'm going to do weekly weight checks once a week if that's not too much.

LunaLupus

5 Year Member
The terra cotta plant saucers work great for a water dish.

cmc990811

5 Year Member
Merritt Island, Florida
I found a plastic lid that works great for now as a watering bowl. I think I am going to change Yoshi substrait to Coco coir or just add it to the top of what he has now. I noticed last night his little feet are black from soil.

What type of heating lamp should I get him? I read on several places a regular bulb will provide heat for him but I want to make sure before I do that, is it ok to use and if so what is the top wattage I should get?

schmodygirl

5 Year Member
mesa, az
Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined. I have learned a lot on here. Everyone is so helpful! Looking forward to more pictures of Yoshi

Also check the links in the Wellington's signature. I know he posts Tom's links and they are super helpful regarding subtrate, food, temps etc... I think most of us agree, Tom is the man on here...

Status
Not open for further replies.