New

SpeedyMom

Just wanted to say hi. I have a baby red foot named Speedy. He/she is the cutest thing ever. Do you think he/she would enjoy having a buddy? My husband says they don't care but I just think I would be lonely all by myself.

Speedy's Mom

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and welcome. Most tortoises don't do good in pairs. Three or more is the best way to go, but the sex ratio has to be considered and one male to a group of females is the safest way to go and even then, they may need to be separated if they don't have a huge enclosure. I would stick with one.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi, and welcome. I agree with Wellington, stick with just the one. Although red foots are not as aggressive as other torts, it would be safer to just care for the one :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome to you and Speedy, you will find lots of up to date information here from very experienced keepers worldwide who thankfully share their tried and tested methods with us.
As already has been said torts are solitary and territorial creatures and don't need friends - one become dominant and bullies the other in very subtle ways as well as maybe using aggression. If you use the search facility re pairs you will see the experience of others. Also with groups, the more torts you have the bigger the enclosures you will need as they grow to enable them to move away from each other and find their own space, and then more heated areas etc. so a lot to consider. I would just enjoy Speedy - he will definitely steal your heart - if he hasn't already!!:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "Mom" and welcome to the Forum!

Your husband is correct (this time!!). Tortoises neither want nor need 'friends.' They are territorial and prefer to be the only tortoise in their territory.

SpeedyMom

Ok, you convinced me. Right now Speedy is just a baby. He hides a lot and doesn't seem to enjoy being handled at all. OF course we don't know if he is a he yet. Any tips on helping him like human interaction?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Ok, you convinced me. Right now Speedy is just a baby. He hides a lot and doesn't seem to enjoy being handled at all. OF course we don't know if he is a he yet. Any tips on helping him like human interaction?
If you've only just had him it will take a while for him to settle in so best not handle too much I would think, he hides because he probably thinks you're a predator he will soon see you as the food god!
My tort likes his front leg stroked gently when he is in his daily soak, he will close his eyes and fall asleep.
He will also accept food from my hand - but don't let him become dependent on this; one of the members has a tort who will only eat if hand fed so not a good thing to encourage too much. I find with Lola that all interaction is on his terms, if he comes to me that's great but I don't make him interact if he's in his 'I want to be alone' mood.

SpeedyMom

I have been able to get him to eat fruit out of my hand but I know they shouldn't have too much fruit.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Mom, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Speedy.
My Tidgy loves her head and neck being rubbed but not her legs.
It takes time for them to get used to humans and they each have different personalities.
As with most things tort related patience is required, but they live a long, long time, so don't panic! :)
Have you read http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/ ?
Then http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding.15137/
are very useful, too.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
When/if you are ever able. Redfoot do very well in groups of more than two. I keep six currently. One male with five females. Even then I find it needed to remove one or two for a while for one reason or another. (So I actually have several spare pens.)
And this is with a pen that is roughly 400 square feet.
For now, your one baby is just the way he/she wants it...Alone.

Paranub

Heya "mom" Torts are a naturally shy creature, let them settle, become accustomed to its territory (remember, its not his yet, its still yours till he has wandered around and claimed it!) Then every time you move something, he will do another round and check it out making sure all is well.
took my george a few weeks to become active and explore. Keeping handling on the down low, its hard to resist picking them up and mothering them loads, but i try to only pick mine up when i need to move him, like for a bath, or if he topples and cant right himself. Some hand feeding is ok, but i try to just pop the food down and let him go to town.

yillt

Hello. Welcome to TFO! Please could we see a picture of your new tortoise? Good luck