New Yellow Baby (4-6month) Eastern Hermann's arriving this coming Sunday/Monday ! help !

ChefTort

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
@AmeliaS that is actually a great idea I honestly didn't think of that . If not then I just hope he comes safe, is the right tort, and is healthy. Ill keep you all updated on the situation. Thank you :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well unfortunately the same issue is here I cant cancel it because I already paid and it will be sent. I went back and forth with them . They do answer but they are selective with what they respond on in email and they just guarantee ill be extremely happy and they guarantee perfect health . It's like talking to a robot. They also don't answer their phone or return calls. This is definitely a lesson learned. They have mixed reviews very hit or miss and that's terrible. I really thought I did my research well . I asked for a refund just for them to guarantee ill be happy and everything will be okay and to just keep saying the same thing. At this point , which i'm guessing is what they hope. I don't feel like battling with a robotand hope that my situation ends up like some of these good situations from them ive heard of.
I agree with Amelia. Dispute it with your credit card company. That will get them to respond. Have a dated email to them clearly stating you DO NOT WANT the animal and telling them DO NOT SHIP IT. Once they ship it, it will be more difficult to dispute.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you @Tom and @AmeliaS !
I agree with Tom and Amelia. Call your bank at once and tell them you cancelled the order and the seller is refusing to cancel even though the shipment isn't supposed to go out until this weekend. Doing this BEFORE it is shipped will definitely be to your advantage.

As Amelia said, you MIGHT get a perfectly fine baby, but the chances are probably only 50/50 of that at best with TortoiseTown as he does buy the leftover babies from true breeders and then flips them to unsuspecting buyers.

PS: Did you see the post yesterday by the person who bought an Eastern Hermann's Tortoise from TortStork a few days ago? It looked very healthy and happy. If you do get the funds back, I would consider that option as Randy seems to have babies available right now.

ChefTort

Texas
@zovick Definitely and I did see that post. I was going to go with Tortstork or even Tortsupply too I honestly think I got Tortsuppy mixed with Tortoisetown reviews . I am talking to my bank now

AmeliaS

Palatine, IL
TortoiseSupply in Las Vegas, where I got my second tortoise which turned out good, is run by a husband and wife team. They have a lot of land and all tortoises for sale are from their own tortoises at their home. They are especially knowledgeable about breed subspecies and traits, and are actively involved in tortoise research news and breeding subspecies true-to-type. They don't breed tortoises like a commercial farm factory, so sometimes if you see a type they have on their website that you like, you might have to wait for the tortoises to have babies available for sale.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
TortoiseSupply in Las Vegas, where I got my second tortoise which turned out good, is run by a husband and wife team. They have a lot of land and all tortoises for sale are from their own tortoises at their home. They are especially knowledgeable about breed subspecies and traits, and are actively involved in tortoise research news and breeding subspecies true-to-type. They don't breed tortoises like a commercial farm factory, so sometimes if you see a type they have on their website that you like, you might have to wait for the tortoises to have babies available for sale.
I know Tyler and Sarah personally. They are terrific human beings. I recommend them too.

ChefTort

Texas
Well I was going to wait a week to tell you guys but I won't leave you hanging lol.

After a bunch of back and forth with the bank and them I decided to just stick with it. He came on time, they provided tracking , they answered all my emails and to me he looks healthy. He ate right away after a long soak and has been eating everyday , except for one day that was really hot out here.

Temps on warm side range from 76-90 (76 night and 85-90 degrees during the day)
Humidity is anywhere between 65-90 mostly in the high 70s to 80 range .

He's in an all coco coir setting , I have a humidifier set up that I let off every now and then and I spray down to keep consistency. I have a feeding schedule and he gets miner-all, calcium, and mazuri twice a week mixed with his greens (china doll, dandelion, mulberry leaves , sow thistle, etc)

Hope I am doing well haha ! He's really cool seems to be doing what a baby would be doing IMG_20230616_102843753_HDR.jpg

He seems to be happy and just explores a bit , eats , basks, and sleeps in that order.

Attachments

• IMG_20230619_093438668_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230619_093438668_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230616_103513047.jpg
    IMG_20230616_103513047.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

ChefTort

Texas
Well I was going to wait a week to tell you guys but I won't leave you hanging lol.

After a bunch of back and forth with the bank and them I decided to just stick with it. He came on time, they provided tracking , they answered all my emails and to me he looks healthy. He ate right away after a long soak and has been eating everyday , except for one day that was really hot out here.

Temps on warm side range from 76-90 (76 night and 85-90 degrees during the day)
Humidity is anywhere between 65-90 mostly in the high 70s to 80 range .

He's in an all coco coir setting , I have a humidifier set up that I let off every now and then and I spray down to keep consistency. I have a feeding schedule and he gets miner-all, calcium, and mazuri twice a week mixed with his greens (china doll, dandelion, mulberry leaves , sow thistle, etc)

Hope I am doing well haha ! He's really cool seems to be doing what a baby would be doing View attachment 358302

He seems to be happy and just explores a bit , eats , basks, and sleeps in that order.
What I will say is I will NEVER go with them again as the process was difficult and seemed very shady. I guess I just got lucky,maybe 🤔 but next time I will be going with a breeder 100% They Do NOT answer their phones, at all or return calls but they do return messages.

Ricky j

Wisconsin
Like the titles says :) I have purchased and put him on hold so that I could get the enclosure perfect. I have mazuri 5m21 diet , 65 watt incandescent , t5 ho tube UVB 10.0,Humidifier , Coco coir , hides, water dish, Alvituvin Tortoise Table which comes with a built in hide. I figure in about a year or maybe sooner ill have to connect another one to it until hes old enough to go outside. Ill be mixing his food with softened with fresh dark greens from the farmers market . etc etc

I feel like I have everything to make his home comfortable. I ordered co co coir offline and it should be coming today but from running the humidifier in the Alvituvin enclosure WITHOUT getting the substrate in yet I got the humidity to 80% easily....thats with no substrate either. I have read @Tom guides and many other on here. Any other tips and tricks you guys suggest ? The guys at Trotoisetownusa have a care sheet but its a little different than what people suggest on here ( like they say dont give calcium for the first 24 months). So much information and i just want him to be comfy and ready to party when he arrives lol :)

Thank you all again,

Anttortoiseown like backwater reptiles are bad companies
O idOi
Like the titles says :) I have purchased and put him on hold so that I could get the enclosure perfect. I have mazuri 5m21 diet , 65 watt incandescent , t5 ho tube UVB 10.0,Humidifier , Coco coir , hides, water dish, Alvituvin Tortoise Table which comes with a built in hide. I figure in about a year or maybe sooner ill have to connect another one to it until hes old enough to go outside. Ill be mixing his food with softened with fresh dark greens from the farmers market . etc etc

I feel like I have everything to make his home comfortable. I ordered co co coir offline and it should be coming today but from running the humidifier in the Alvituvin enclosure WITHOUT getting the substrate in yet I got the humidity to 80% easily....thats with no substrate either. I have read @Tom guides and many other on here. Any other tips and tricks you guys suggest ? The guys at Trotoisetownusa have a care sheet but its a little different than what people suggest on here ( like they say dont give calcium for the first 24 months). So much information and i just want him to be comfy and ready to party when he arrives lol :)

Thank you all again,

Anthony

Avoid tortoise town and backwater reptiles both bad companies

ChefTort

Texas
O idOi

Avoid tortoise town and backwater reptiles both bad companies
Next time I am definitely finding a breeder on here. The process was weird, uncommunicative for the most part, strange on trying to get my money back which should of been a quick thing. I'm lucky but I won't do it again that's for sure

Ricky j

Wisconsin
Next time I am definitely finding a breeder on here. The process was weird, uncommunicative for the most part, strange on trying to get my money back which should of been a quick thing. I'm lucky but I won't do it again that's for sure
We all make mistakes I made the mistake of ordering my Russian tortoise from backwater reptiles he showed up with shell rot and I had to get him back to being healthy nows he's doing great

ChefTort

Texas
Glad he's doing great now ! Plus I think that breeders can get you on a more intimate level when choosing your pet. Dealing with places like Tortoise Town make you feel like you when to Walmart to get your friend

Ricky j

Wisconsin
Glad he's doing great now ! Plus I think that breeders can get you on a more intimate level when choosing your pet. Dealing with places like Tortoise Town make you feel like you when to Walmart to get your friend
Agreed