New Yellow Baby (4-6month) Eastern Hermann's arriving this coming Sunday/Monday ! help !

ChefTort

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Like the titles says :) I have purchased and put him on hold so that I could get the enclosure perfect. I have mazuri 5m21 diet , 65 watt incandescent , t5 ho tube UVB 10.0,Humidifier , Coco coir , hides, water dish, Alvituvin Tortoise Table which comes with a built in hide. I figure in about a year or maybe sooner ill have to connect another one to it until hes old enough to go outside. Ill be mixing his food with softened with fresh dark greens from the farmers market . etc etc

I feel like I have everything to make his home comfortable. I ordered co co coir offline and it should be coming today but from running the humidifier in the Alvituvin enclosure WITHOUT getting the substrate in yet I got the humidity to 80% easily....thats with no substrate either. I have read @Tom guides and many other on here. Any other tips and tricks you guys suggest ? The guys at Trotoisetownusa have a care sheet but its a little different than what people suggest on here ( like they say dont give calcium for the first 24 months). So much information and i just want him to be comfy and ready to party when he arrives lol :)

Thank you all again,

Anthony

zovick

10 Year Member!
Like the titles says :) I have purchased and put him on hold so that I could get the enclosure perfect. I have mazuri 5m21 diet , 65 watt incandescent , t5 ho tube UVB 10.0,Humidifier , Coco coir , hides, water dish, Alvituvin Tortoise Table which comes with a built in hide. I figure in about a year or maybe sooner ill have to connect another one to it until hes old enough to go outside. Ill be mixing his food with softened with fresh dark greens from the farmers market . etc etc

I feel like I have everything to make his home comfortable. I ordered co co coir offline and it should be coming today but from running the humidifier in the Alvituvin enclosure WITHOUT getting the substrate in yet I got the humidity to 80% easily....thats with no substrate either. I have read @Tom guides and many other on here. Any other tips and tricks you guys suggest ? The guys at Trotoisetownusa have a care sheet but its a little different than what people suggest on here ( like they say dont give calcium for the first 24 months). So much information and i just want him to be comfy and ready to party when he arrives lol :)

Thank you all again,

Anthony
If it is the same Tortoisetown I think it is, it has had very bad reviews. You would be better off buying from a true breeder. I wouldn't put much stock in his care sheet, either.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Why is the tortoise called yellow eastern Hermann? Tortoise town doesn't have good reviews including people getting the wrong species of tortoise. I agree with @zovick on finding a different breeder if you can.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
If you do a search on the forum for Tortoise Town you will unfortunately read many heartbreaking experiences. If at all possible, try and get your money back and the members on here can direct you to a reputable breeder to get a healthy, well started baby. I’ve also included their Better Business Bureau rating below.

ChefTort

Texas
That's interesting because I was suggested by a friend to get my tortoise from there. I'm not sure but from what I understood their Hermann's are " very yellow" but they don't call it a Yellow Hermanns Tortoise...I just said that myself lol. All I saw was positive reviews and heard some until I saw what you guys posted.....

I may be able to get money back I guess...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also just read the reviews and ....well that sucks :(
Hello and welcome.

Start here and look for the temperate species care sheet near the bottom:

ChefTort

Texas
I kind of see good and bad reviews of Tortoise Town on the forums but regardless I hope we can focus on If the set up is okay and what ill need and hopefully I dont have a problem with them !

zovick

10 Year Member!
Also just read the reviews and ....well that sucks :(
The owner does a rather "strange" thing to keep buyers from learning that he is simply buying and "flipping" turtles and tortoises. He buys them under the name StarTortoiseWorld and then sells them under the name TortoiseTown.

Check out the wanted ads in the turtle and tortoise section of Fauna Classifieds. The entity buying the animals is StarTortoiseWorld in Absecon, NJ. TortoiseTown is a mere 8 miles away in Egg Harbor, NJ.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very very interesting @zovick .... ahh well thats a mood killer ha
It sucks to get bad news, but think how bad it would be if the transaction were already done, and you had a problem. It would be way worse.

It sounds like your friend is the victim of all the usual bad info too. Invite your friend here. We aren't selling anything. We just want people to have healthy tortoises.

ChefTort

Texas
@Tom 100% ! I will be contacting them now on how to get a refund. I very very much appreciate your guys help with EVERYTHING . It is great to have a source like this out here. I thought I had everything right haha but you just never know !

zovick

10 Year Member!
@Tom 100% ! I will be contacting them now on how to get a refund. I very very much appreciate your guys help with EVERYTHING . It is great to have a source like this out here. I thought I had everything right haha but you just never know !
Good luck.

If you do get a refund and want referrals to real tortoise breeders, just post same on here.

Here is one possibility: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812876&highlight=Eastern+Hermann's+Tortoise

Last edited:

zovick

10 Year Member!
Here is another possibility. Randy Betz has well-started babies as well as the ability to send you an unhatched egg which will hatch just a few days after you receive it. Check out the whole site for other options and ideas:

AmeliaS

Palatine, IL
This is an older post, and it looks like everything has already been taken care of. I am glad you cancelled it before it came. But I will second what the other posters are saying from a bad experience I also had with them.

* When TortoiseTown sells easy-to-breed species whose babies are all identical, such as painted turtles, then there is no problem and the new owner is happy. That is probably where the good reviews come from.

* But when you get into some of the unique or larger tortoises, that is where they have problems. They shop in google images for the prettiest and most photogenic pictures and copy them onto their website, like they have special specimens. But they actually just get whatever b-rated leftover babies that breeders couldn't get rid of, that they can beg from faunaclassifieds to re-sell. I ordered a leopard tortoise/ pardalis babcocki (the smaller species, which is rounder and has one spot in their scutes). But instead they sent me a blaringly obvious textbook perfect specimen of a pardalis pardalis (Giant South African Leopard Tortoise, which can get 2 feet, is slightly longer & skinnier, and has 2 dots in their scutes). I cannot have a gigantic zoo animal where I live. When I confronted them about this and asked how I would return it since they sent me the wrong item, they flippantly said it's the right one, then they wouldn't talk to me. After the poor little guy had a week to rest and eat and recover form his first trip, I had to figure out how to mail the tortoise back to them, which also cost $250 out of pocket. And TortoseTown wouldn't give me a full refund for the purchase of the tortoise either. PS, as a woman, it is difficult to have any baby animal in your possession for even a short amount of time, then send it back. It hurt me to say goodbye to him and mail him away in the lonely box, and I was crying at the FedEx office when they closed the box and taped it up..

I ended up getting a pardalis babcocki leopard tortoise from TortoiseSupply company in Las Vegas, who is a first-rate class act.

ChefTort

Texas
Well unfortunately the same issue is here I cant cancel it because I already paid and it will be sent. I went back and forth with them . They do answer but they are selective with what they respond on in email and they just guarantee ill be extremely happy and they guarantee perfect health . It's like talking to a robot. They also don't answer their phone or return calls. This is definitely a lesson learned. They have mixed reviews very hit or miss and that's terrible. I really thought I did my research well . I asked for a refund just for them to guarantee ill be happy and everything will be okay and to just keep saying the same thing. At this point , which i'm guessing is what they hope. I don't feel like battling with a robotand hope that my situation ends up like some of these good situations from them ive heard of.

AmeliaS

Palatine, IL
Maybe you could try to call your credit card company to report this as a bad transaction and request for it to be reversed.