New User... with questions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Tortuga~

5 Year Member
Hello Everyone! Well my name is Nina, I have 5 reptiles total. 3 Red Eared Sliders (Raphael, Crush & Squirt) Although.. they have gotten so big I really can't tell them apart anymore lol. I have had them for about 3 years now. I also have a Russian Tortoise that I have had for about 8 years, and an Eastern Box Turtle (female) that I have had for about four years. My question relates to my sliders. Lately my filter doesn't seem to be keeping up with the water as good as it used to. I'm having to change it about every 2 weeks. It used to be more like a month or longer. (I have a fluval) anyway, I decided to start feeding the turtles in a separate tank to help with the water quality. But my turtles hate to be handled, they freak out and run when I try to get them, then they freak out in the new tank and don't eat. Then they freak out when I put them back. I don't like stressing them out, which is why I don't handle them.. any suggestions on how to get them to eat in the smaller tank.. will they just eventually get used to it?

M

Maggie Cummings

Fluval makes a really good filter and if it's not keeping up with the waste that means that your container is not big enough. RES are good sized turtles and to have 3 together they should be in at least 500 to 600 gallons of water. I use several Fluval filters and my water is sparkling clean. So you need to think about separating them or getting them a bigger container, it's not the fault of the filter, it's the big turtles...welcome to the forum...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Nina:

1029200y3kmlse4j3.gif
to the forum!!

Because your turtles are so big, I agree with Maggie. I think its time to invest in an additional canister-type filter.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I use fluval 405 filters, and I will be getting a Fluval FX5 filter (no manual prime needed)

Welcome to the forum!!

What about building a pond? the solution to pollution is dilution... more water is always better

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! Are you able to have a pond like the others mentioned?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Did someone mention a pond? :)

justinlwoods1

5 Year Member
~Tortuga~ said:
Hello Everyone! Well my name is Nina, I have 5 reptiles total. 3 Red Eared Sliders (Raphael, Crush & Squirt) Although.. they have gotten so big I really can't tell them apart anymore lol. I have had them for about 3 years now. I also have a Russian Tortoise that I have had for about 8 years, and an Eastern Box Turtle (female) that I have had for about four years. My question relates to my sliders. Lately my filter doesn't seem to be keeping up with the water as good as it used to. I'm having to change it about every 2 weeks. It used to be more like a month or longer. (I have a fluval) anyway, I decided to start feeding the turtles in a separate tank to help with the water quality. But my turtles hate to be handled, they freak out and run when I try to get them, then they freak out in the new tank and don't eat. Then they freak out when I put them back. I don't like stressing them out, which is why I don't handle them.. any suggestions on how to get them to eat in the smaller tank.. will they just eventually get used to it?
Yes they will eventually get used to the new tank just keep trying ...when you first put them in their cage now they probably wernt used to that at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.