New turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I got a beautiful baby snapping turtle his name is Hercules. My second favorite turtle to the alligator snapping turtle that I can't keep where I live .:( But I like these guys just the same . Alright New turtle!!!!!!!!

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1376701575533.jpg
    1376701575533.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 171
  • 1376701592160.jpg
    1376701592160.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 175
  • 1376701609639.jpg
    1376701609639.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 172

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
So cute and so small....and then they get soooo large and bite your hand off...lol

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You sound like the adults on Christmas story ( you'll shoot you eye out ) LoL HaHa yep always wanted one so I got one . I will have to handle him every day so we can bond . And hopefully he'll let me keep my hand when he's bigger.

Penn

5 Year Member
My wife won't let me have one. She thinks its gonna crawl out of the tank and eat the children. I tell her but honey they're called snapping turtles because they snap like this! (I go into the 80's Belinda Carlisle dance)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I didn't tell my wife . I just got him . I will pay for it later. Hope it don't hurt to bad when she kicks my butt.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Penn said:
My wife won't let me have one. She thinks its gonna crawl out of the tank and eat the children. I tell her but honey they're called snapping turtles because they snap like this! (I go into the 80's Belinda Carlisle dance)

OMG!!! SOOOOOOOOOO FUNNY!!! MADE ME LAUGH AND LAUGH!! :) :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well I'm in the clear on the snapper . Told my wife about it and she said how cute. So yahoooooo !!!!!!!!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Are you breeding them ? Have you had any success in taming them down . I have seen some YouTube videos of some snapping turtles that actually look tame.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
mike taylor said:
I didn't tell my wife . I just got him . I will pay for it later. Hope it don't hurt to bad when she kicks my butt.

I got a couple radiated without my wife knowing:D she was ok with it

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
mike taylor said:
Are you breeding them ? Have you had any success in taming them down . I have seen some YouTube videos of some snapping turtles that actually look tame.

Hey Mike,

No I don't breed them. I love Chelydra and always have. I don't keep them because of the space they require and their lack of suitability to community keeping. It's not impossible to keep them, but it's an undertaking I am not willing to take on.

As far as "taming" turtles, I personally don't see them as pets. It's just not what gives me pleasure in this hobby. My goal is breeding rare species, and providing a natural environment is the best way to promote breeding activity. When my turtles flea from me and when they want to bite me, that's actually a welcomed response for me. If a snapping turtle doesn't want to bite while on land, to me that's a red flag for what type of stress the animal may be experiencing.

These 28 little hatchlings I have are from a nest collected on June 8th. They were laid in an extremely unsafe area, and a concerned person contacted me about them. I incubated them at a temp that will probably produce mostly females. They were done hatching yesterday and have not been fed. They will be released tomorrow.

Seriously, good luck with your little guy though. They are about as close to a little dinosaur as you can get!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oh ,I remember the dirt bike trail snapper nest. I have the room to make my guy a nice little pond as soon as he gets big enough. I'm with you on the favorite turtle. Snapping turtles are awesome little living dinosaurs .

SANDRA_MEISSNEST said:
Lmao...this is tooooo funny

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

What are you laughing about a 200 lbs man scared of a 120 lbs woman hummmmm.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I know what your saying there .

Status
Not open for further replies.