New turtle, not sure what I'm looking at.

Bregan

I recovered this little lady from a friends place, they weren't taking very good care of her, but she seems to otherwise be in good health except for these shell marks, I dont know what to make of them.
The photos aren't very good, so I'll do my best to explain.

On the top left side of her shell there's a large rectangular mark that appears to be a sort of shallow scrape,
but I know shes never been outside or struck with anything, which is why I'm concerned.

There's also a couple of shallow holes in her shell as well. And the back of her shell in the one photo has almost none of her pattern on it.

Thanks for the help!

11822060_10153451303366138_25910498_o.jpg 11852628_10153451303091138_805347216_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bregan

I forgot to mention that shes an eastern Box. Maybe 5-6 years old, has otherwise had no health issues other than her claws have seen some neglect, they are a little longer than i would expect.
She eats normally, I dont otherwise see anything else wrong with her.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Looks like some old battle wounds from the wild. That box turtle looks very old to me. Raccoons love box turtles they constantly have battle wounds from predators. Or possibly a dog and or concrete/rock debris scraping the carapace. Looks fine to me,mid clean and scrub it just to get a better sense of reality of it, but this is of no concern.

Bregan

Okay perfect, thanks! I'm still gonna take her in to the vet this week, but I Just wanted to make sure.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Good deal. Nothing wrong with double checking stool and everything. Keep in mind a lot of vets will want to give vitamin injections. I'd not allow them to do that, it's never a good idea.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

It looks like someone in the past might have taken some sand paper to her shell. Don't worry about the marks you have circled. Those are old and there's no telling what made them. But its all healed over and not a problem.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
How long did your friend have her? Did they have her from a hatchling age or do you know how they got her? Could you share plastron shots and nail shots since you said they were a little overgrown?

Do you need any assistance or information?

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
What I see in the picture-she may be a he...does he have ruby red eyes? Concave plastron? (Plastron would be his/her underside)
Looks like a very old Eastern. Old battle scars are normal for Easterns that were living in the wild.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
I would set up an outdoor enclosure for him/her. A nice big one:) with lots of plants, shade, hides, soaking tub etc...give her/him the feel of "the wild" once again;)

TMartin510

Fremont, California
Possibly bird wounds as well, if they are outside birds will go after them and peck them with there beaks, like Scrub Jays.