Scratched a hole in the side of his tortoise table/home.....

Scm133

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calera, Alabama
I knew this winter would be the last time that Milo would be kept in his tortoise table. It is 6' x 2'. Milo is only 3 lbs, but he is a mighty one! Today he has successfully scratched through a wall of his enclosure. I am planning his outside heated box, but was really surprised to find that hole in the wall of his enclosure today.
I take him outside, but he can only stay briefly, because our daytime temps are in the 60's. Today was overcast, so he was only out for 30 mins. I keep a check on his shell temp, and once it gets close to the lower 80's, I have to bring him in. I have a feeling this is going to be a long winter for the both of us. ):

Here he is back in his Tortoise Table after being outside...not happy!!
IMG_6124.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah...they do a lot of digging when they're settling down to sleep.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Is that the ZOOMed tortoise house? The walls on those are really thin, and sulcata's sure have muscle! :D

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Is that the ZOOMed tortoise house? The walls on those are really thin, and sulcata's sure have muscle! :D
Yes, I put two ZooMed Tortoise tables together. I am now seeing how super thin the walls really are.
We are going to hot glue tile to the walls for now. Praying for spring to get here fast!!

tortoise_luvergirl

5 Year Member
Willow is wieghing in at a little over FIVE POUNDS and only 16 months old .. but the digging.. yea, even NOW I hear it... SCRAAATCH SCRATTCH. Go to sleep already little guy. No light on other then black one now but prob see's my office light. he'she is clawing its way through thick plastic.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
When Chuck, my 50 pound sulcata, goes into his house I listen for the scratching to tell me he's down for the night or just in for a warm up. Sometimes he fools me and will scratch and then come back out.

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
He does his normal scratching in a corner when settling down at night. The hole that he scratched in the wall was in the middle. He did it intentionally after it got cold, and he was not able to go outside. It has warmed up a bit, and I have been able to get him out for a few hours. He is behaving now...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Willow is wieghing in at a little over FIVE POUNDS and only 16 months old .. but the digging.. yea, even NOW I hear it... SCRAAATCH SCRATTCH. Go to sleep already little guy. No light on other then black one now but prob see's my office light. he'she is clawing its way through thick plastic.

Swap the black light for a CHE and I'll bet he stops. They can see better than we do, so if you can see with that light, so can he.