New Sulcata Owner from Panama City Beach, FL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scm133

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calera, Alabama
I have been stalking this forum, and gathering great information on the Sulcata Tortoise. Still trying to absorb all this information, and still learning.
I acquired a Sulcata hatchling last Thursday. He is 26 days old. Weight 37 grams, and measuring shell from front to back around 2.5 inches. I have him in a 20 gallon tank temporarily with eco earth as substrate. I am using a Zoo Med Powersun for UVB and heat. Basking spot is 90 with a good temp gradient to 75 on the cool side. He has a hide for sleeping; shallow water dish, and food dish. The humidity stays around 70%.
The last few days were rainy, but today I have him outside in a ZooMed Tortoise Playpen. He has been very active the last three days, and eating good. Right now his diet is Spring Mix, hibiscus, and chopped aloe plant. I did notice that he is starting to tug on the grass outside in his playpen.
I realize all these accommodations are temporary, and upgrades will have to be done, as he grows.
This forum has a lot of great information, and I really appreciate that!! Suggestions are always welcome.

yensao

5 Year Member
North California, USA
Hello and welcome to the forum, looks like you have a happy/healthy sulcata baby with your well setup. Same as yours, I have a sulcata baby but 2 months old now. I learn a lot from this forum, specially Tom's threads.

From your description, only one thing I'm concern about is "Aloe"

Quote from The Tortoise Table:
The Aloe is fine to feed to tortoises in moderation, but if too much is fed it can have a slight laxative effect.

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Hopefully you have found Toms great threads on raising a smooth, healthy sulcata. If not, they are below in my post.

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Thanks for the welcome. I removed the Aloe. I do have a question for night time: in order to keep nighttime temps at 80, can I use a UTH with Herpstat thermostat? Or is a CHE better?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. For nights, there should not be any lights on. A CHE or ceramic heat emitter 100w is what you need to get. You'll need to get a temp gun to really get a feel for the temps in the tank. Personally, i think a 20 gal tank is too small. It would be hard to get the 4 temps your baby needs (hide: 95 degrees; basking: 100-105; ambient 80-85 degrees, cool side no lower than 80 degrees.) Humidity should be 80% with temps no lower than 80 degrees.

Also, sulcatas eat grass and weeds primarily. Spring mix is fine, but it also has a good amount of spinach which you'd want to avoid. You can offer other greens like kale, turnip greens, collards, endive, grape leaves, hibiscus both flower and leaves, mulberry leaves. Sullies like variety and colors. Tom's threads give more information you'll need to read. Btw, I live only about an hour from you. FWB:)

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
sibi said:
Hi and welcome. For nights, there should not be any lights on. A CHE or ceramic heat emitter 100w is what you need to get. You'll need to get a temp gun to really get a feel for the temps in the tank. Personally, i think a 20 gal tank is too small. It would be hard to get the 4 temps your baby needs (hide: 95 degrees; basking: 100-105; ambient 80-85 degrees, cool side no lower than 80 degrees.) Humidity should be 80% with temps no lower than 80 degrees.

Also, sulcatas eat grass and weeds primarily. Spring mix is fine, but it also has a good amount of spinach which you'd want to avoid. You can offer other greens like kale, turnip greens, collards, endive, grape leaves, hibiscus both flower and leaves, mulberry leaves. Sullies like variety and colors. Tom's threads give more information you'll need to read. Btw, I live only about an hour from you. FWB:)
Thanks! I have a ZooMed Tortoise House ordered. I agree the 20 gallon seems too small. I have him outside in a ZooMed Tortoise PlayPen right now. He is only in that for 1-2 hours max. Yes, I have read Tom's updated care sheet. I already have the temp gun. I raise Leopard Geckos, and I have a Bearded Dragon. I always throw the spinach out...not good for BD's either. So glad to have a fellow Floridian close by!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.