Just caught my little guy trying to eat his poo! Then dirt!

Madkathq

Location (City and/or State)
Lake Elsinore
Hello everyone. I'm outside with Kame and I saw him poo. When I went to pick it up and move it out of his enclosure, he tried to eat it. Once it was gone, he walked to a new area to try to eat dirt. Why? There are plenty of his favorite greens around

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Huh. Provide a cuttle bone, might help with the eating dirt? Your tort might leave the cuttle bone alone for months and then eat a bunch of it all at once when it needs it.

I've seen my tortoise attempt to eat his own poo, I dont think that's too uncommon.

Madkathq

Lake Elsinore
Huh. Provide a cuttle bone, might help with the eating dirt? Your tort might leave the cuttle bone alone for months and then eat a bunch of it all at once when it needs it.

I've seen my tortoise attempt to eat his own poo, I dont think that's too uncommon.

Okay that's good, I have one in his indoor enclosure, guess it'll be coming with us next time
Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone. I'm outside with Kame and I saw him poo. When I went to pick it up and move it out of his enclosure, he tried to eat it. Once it was gone, he walked to a new area to try to eat dirt. Why? There are plenty of his favorite greens around
What species and size? What do you typically feed it? Supplements? This is most commonly seen in tortoises that eat a lot of grocery store greens.

Madkathq

Lake Elsinore
What species and size? What do you typically feed it? Supplements? This is most commonly seen in tortoises that eat a lot of grocery store greens.

Sulcata, about two months old, likes filaree, germanium leaves, and dandelion. They have calcium supplement, but their shipment of reptile vitamins/minerals are on hold because of the pandemic. Could you give me a tip on where to buy those that is still having timely shipments?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sulcata, about two months old, likes filaree, germanium leaves, and dandelion. They have calcium supplement, but their shipment of reptile vitamins/minerals are on hold because of the pandemic. Could you give me a tip on where to buy those that is still having timely shipments?
More than one? How long have you had them? Where did you get them?

All the questions will help us figure out and solve your problem...

Madkathq

Lake Elsinore

I have two, my boyfriend came home with two from some guy who was moving. Neither of us were ready, and I took them in. You've actually helped me out before. I got them two weeks ago, he had them for one week. Their situation changed drastically once I found this forum. They now have the proper tank/substrate. Only one is having this issue that I've noticed, and this is the first time seeing Kame try eating dirt. Maybe there was a root there? It could also be lack of minerals

Madkathq

Lake Elsinore

Also, I'm working on getting them separated but I really can't afford that yet. They don't seem stressed together, and they have a decent sized enclosure. I soak them separately in a larger area too so they can roam during their baths

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have two, my boyfriend came home with two from some guy who was moving. Neither of us were ready, and I took them in. You've actually helped me out before. I got them two weeks ago, he had them for one week. Their situation changed drastically once I found this forum. They now have the proper tank/substrate. Only one is having this issue that I've noticed, and this is the first time seeing Kame try eating dirt. Maybe there was a root there? It could also be lack of minerals
Most breeders feed them the easy way with grocery store lettuce. If that is what they had been eating before you got them a couple of weeks ago, it would explain the dirt eating. The good diet you are offering now will eventually bring that to a halt. You can also get some "MinerAll" from Sticky Tongue Farms. Its a balanced mineral supplement.

Madkathq

Lake Elsinore
Most breeders feed them the easy way with grocery store lettuce. If that is what they had been eating before you got them a couple of weeks ago, it would explain the dirt eating. The good diet you are offering now will eventually bring that to a halt. You can also get some "MinerAll" from Sticky Tongue Farms. Its a balanced mineral supplement.

Thanks for the help

Sa Ga

MN
Because I live in the way-not-balmy MN, I feed almost all grocery greens, and Morla HATES her poo! The second she goes she scoots away from it! (Smart girl! Wish I could say the same about one of my dogs!) Lol

???????

Sa Ga

MN
@Tom , I can't believe you didn't ask for his temp ranges, type of lighting, and pics of his enclosure! ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Because I live in the way-not-balmy MN, I feed almost all grocery greens, and Morla HATES her poo! The second she goes she scoots away from it! (Smart girl! Wish I could say the same about one of my dogs!) Lol
The grocery store greens sometimes cause them to eat their substrate, dirt, or small rocks. Not their poo.

Sa Ga

MN
Not relevant to the problem in question. :p
Lol. I know. I'm teasing u bc it always seems to be 99% of the time. ?

(The orig post said he first tried to eat his poo. What causes that?)

Last edited: