New Tortoise Table

Rural

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denmark
Hi, I'm Chris. I've been on the forum before, but I forgot my information, so I made a new account. I have two russian tortoises called Elliot and Ellie, and since I just moved to a place with a bit more space, they got a new table. The table is 130 centimeters by 100 centimeters. It has a cave-like hide Ellie already buried herself in a few times, a succulent too tall to eat, some bark, two food bowls and a saucer for water. The temperatures are fine, but I'm going to make a stand for the basking light. The substrate is pretty humid since it came like that, it usually dries out in a day or two, but I'm going to keep the hide moist though. It looks like so:

10928679_337043186487439_514368020_n.jpg

Elliot was the first to explore the new table,

10934507_337040606487697_152035632_n.jpg

and get stuck behind the succulent,

10952745_337040586487699_1238390381_n.jpg

and make it out without my help.

10956189_337040566487701_1463807419_n.jpg

They seem like they like the expansion. Hopefully I'll get more space for a massive table soon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Chris:

Are you ChrisKTaylor from Slagelse? If so, I'll ask Josh to combine your two accounts into this one. let me know.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

That's a fine-looking jade plant. And the fat little leg on the tortoise climbing into the pot is so cute!

It's quite ok for the substrate to be a tad on the moist side. That's really what you want in substrate. But, like Barb said, they don't do well in pairs, so pay a lot of attention to both tortoises to make sure they're both eating and active.

Also, the sides on your table are a bit on the low side. Russian tortoises are pretty good at climbing, and I'll bet if they were to try, they could climb right out of there.

Rural

5 Year Member
Denmark
Welcome! First problem you'll have is that you can't keep them together as a pair. Second issue is the bark. Replace it with something more suitable. Read the Russian care sheet.

I've had a time where I had to put Elliot in another cage, because he got agressive with Ellie. It was during the time they mate. At the moment they're doing good together and don't bother eachother, but I'll have the other cage ready if any new problems occur. I'll get rid of the bark too, I don't want anything that could be bad for them on the table.

Hi Chris:

Are you ChrisKTaylor from Slagelse? If so, I'll ask Josh to combine your two accounts into this one. let me know.

Yes, yes I am. That'd be great.

Rural

5 Year Member
Denmark
Welcome to the Forum!

That's a fine-looking jade plant. And the fat little leg on the tortoise climbing into the pot is so cute!

It's quite ok for the substrate to be a tad on the moist side. That's really what you want in substrate. But, like Barb said, they don't do well in pairs, so pay a lot of attention to both tortoises to make sure they're both eating and active.

Also, the sides on your table are a bit on the low side. Russian tortoises are pretty good at climbing, and I'll bet if they were to try, they could climb right out of there.

Thanks for the advice Yvonne, I'll get some more plexiglass and extend the walls asap, and keep the substrate moist.