New Tortoise owner

Sandieh5

Location (City and/or State)
Plano IL
We got this tortoise for my granddaughter and was wondering if it is a boy or a girl. The petstore said they think its a girl but we just wanted to make sure. Also any thoughts on how old it is?

20170831_100721.jpg 20170831_100726.jpg 20170831_100731.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Petstore bought tortoises are always upwards of 8 to 10 years or more. It takes a Russian tortoise several years to get to full size, and because it's such a small species of tortoise, in order to get past the 4" rule * pet stores get them when they are over 8 years of age.

*In an attempt to curtail the incidence of turtle-associated Salmonella infection in children, federal regulations restricting the sale of turtles and their eggs became law in 1975. This law says that businesses can't sell turtles or tortoises smaller than 4" (straight line front to back)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, I forgot to answer your question. You have a female Russian tortoise. Testudo horsefieldii

Sandieh5

Plano IL
how much do they eat and do we need to take our what isn't eaten or can we leave it in there for the day?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I put food in in the morning. if it's all gone by the evening, it wasn't enough.
If there is food left over i throw it and give fresh every day.