Girl Or Boy?

MsBeBe_E

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Got a new Tort from Petsmart!! Looks like a girl, sales clerk said it's a girl. Is it a girl, boy, or "un-sexuable" What do you experts think???

ImageUploadedByTortForum1391718565.512237.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391718581.951729.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391718596.537764.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391718617.441557.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391718641.421207.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MsBeBe_E

5 Year Member
Georgia
Thought so and was hoping so!! Yay! [RIBBON][TURTLE]

MsBeBe_E

5 Year Member
Georgia
Because I rarely see females torts in pet stores. And plus this tort is for my daughter as birthday gift and she wanted a girl tortoise (she wouldn't really know the difference). It's just what we wanted! Plus we saved a tort from petsmart!

MsBeBe_E

5 Year Member
Georgia
I measured my new tort today and she is right under 5 inches. Is it too early to tell if she is a girl or boy? I think I've read that the tort has to be atleast 5 or 6 inches to be sexed!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
It looks like a girl to me, but at under 5" it may still be too early to tell for sure. She might sprout a longer tail... or she may continue to look female. :) Either way, if you are keeping a single tortoise, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

MsBeBe_E said:
I measured my new tort today and she is right under 5 inches. Is it too early to tell if she is a girl or boy? I think I've read that the tort has to be atleast 5 or 6 inches to be sexed!

MsBeBe_E

5 Year Member
Georgia
biochemnerd808 said:
It looks like a girl to me, but at under 5" it may still be too early to tell for sure. She might sprout a longer tail... or she may continue to look female. :) Either way, if you are keeping a single tortoise, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

MsBeBe_E said:

Thanks for your insight!!!

biochemnerd808 said:

MsBeBe_E said:

I have one more question for you should be measuring her shell (top) or her plastron (belly)? I measured her shell.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
You measure a tortoise by placing it onto a ruler, up against the wall. :) This is called the linear (straight) carapace length, often abbreviated SCL. I've attached a pic:
CozyMeasure1.JPG

MsBeBe_E said:
I measured my new tort today and she is right under 5 inches.

I have one more question for you should be measuring her shell (top) or her plastron (belly)? I measured her shell.

Last edited by a moderator:

MsBeBe_E

5 Year Member
Georgia
biochemnerd808 said:
You measure a tortoise by placing it onto a ruler, up against the wall. :) This is called the linear (straight) carapace length, often abbreviated SCL. I've attached a pic:

MsBeBe_E said:
I measured my new tort today and she is right under 5 inches.

Well I've been doing it wrong! Thanks so much for all of your info!!!