New Tortoise Owner

juljanssen

Hi,
I recently adopted two tortoises from my sister, but have no idea what kind they are (she didn't either). I have been looking at pictures, but and still just not sure. Maybe someone on here can help me? I have attached photos, but am not really sure what you need to id them. Please let me know what else I can provide!

Thanks,
Julie

IMG_2122.JPG IMG_2123.JPG IMG_2124.JPG IMG_2125.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Julie, and welcome to the Forum!

They're a bit too young to be able to know which sex they are, but they're both desert tortoises. They are protected, so you can never "sell" them, only give them away for free. But then, you'll probably be keeping them for the rest of your life, right? :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome?

Where are you? This will impact care advice.

juljanssen

They're a bit too young to be able to know which sex they are, but they're both desert tortoises. They are protected, so you can never "sell" them, only give them away for free. But then, you'll probably be keeping them for the rest of your life, right? :D

My in-laws have 4 desert tortoises. Mama is 80 and her three children are close to 40. I thought they looked somewhat like the older ones do, but more yellow. My sister has had them since they were a couple of inches long. She got them from a garage sale and the lady had the parents but said she didnt know what they were. Interesting, since she lived in Antelope Valley! The only thing is - they do not want to hibernate. My sister said she tried the first two years she had them, but they kept thumping around in the box. In the end she took them out and she said they ate all through the winter.

Last edited:

juljanssen

Hello and welcome?

Where are you? This will impact care advice.

San Diego. I have been feeding them any and everything to see what they like. My sister mostly fed them greens so I am trying to teach them to eat fruits and flowers as well. Since I do not know what kind they are I am sort of guessing. I have looked at so many pics my brain is spinning. Very glad I found your forum.

juljanssen

Never! and will also get my in-laws mature tortoises when they are no longer able to care for them. Attached is the one I think is the mama tortoise. So you think mine are this same kind?

mama.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
San Diego. I have been feeding them any and everything to see what they like. My sister mostly fed them greens so I am trying to teach them to eat fruits and flowers as well. Since I do not know what kind they are I am sort of guessing. I have looked at so many pics my brain is spinning. Very glad I found your forum.

No fruit. Its not good for this species of tortoise.

I typed this up for sulcatas, but all the same foods apply for DTs too. (Desert Tortoises). Just less emphasis on grass.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

juljanssen

Thank you Tom! You also think they are desert tortoises? They look much yellower than my inlaws, but perhaps that is because they are young. So far they do not really eat much but lettuces, but if I hand feed them I can get them to eat new things. I will start introducing them to new items from your list. Do different types of tortoises get along?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Never! and will also get my in-laws mature tortoises when they are no longer able to care for them. Attached is the one I think is the mama tortoise. So you think mine are this same kind?

View attachment 189355

Yes, mama is a desert tortoise. Love those green eyes!

And no, you must never mix species. You may end up with sick or dead tortoises.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Julie, sorry, I know nothing about your native plants, but a belated warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)