New tortoise owner from Foothills of Colorado

Tortius Decimus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Just brought home my Russian on Thursday. My 1st tortoise :D He is such a sweetheart! He won't eat for me yet, but probably due to stress of a new home right?? He enjoyed going exploring around our kitchen yesterday, and to the kids' and my surprise, pushed open the kitchen screen door and went for some outside exploring on the stoop. Didn't want him to fall off the stoop so I constructed a "playground" within a kiddie pool and set him in there. He loved it! Such a curious little guy. Looking forward to meeting other people just as in love with their tortoises, and learning all I can about keeping him happy and healthy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Welcome and congrats on your first tort! Yes, his lack of appetite is probably due to a bit of stress. Have you given him a warm soak? That might help him relax a bit. Please post pictures, if you can. :)

May
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Good to have you here. Welcome, Welcome! ! !

Sarah Winchester

Cornwall
I am also new to tortoises got my first leopard tortoise found my tortoise didn't eat the day I got him but I put that down to new environment but next day Georgie was eating no problems she does love her food had her 9 days now and she is doing really well :)
Welcome to the forum also :)

Tortius Decimus

5 Year Member
Colorado

Tortius Decimus

5 Year Member
Colorado
Thank you for all the welcomings, and for the helpful links. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a good book covering proper care of Russians? Also, is it possible Tortius will not eat the greens i've been offering because the store was feeding "grassland tortoise diet" as his only food? If so, how do I convince a tortoise to try something new??

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
By the time a book is ritten and published and sold . It's all ready out dated so watch out for books.

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I read three different books on Russian tortoise care and they all gave various levels of bad information. I think the best information I've found is on this site, and I did a lot of research online. Sometimes a text my Tortoise three or four times of being offered a food before they will eat it. Try mixing what they do like with stuff they don't chop it all up small and slowly decrease the amount of the stuff you do not want them to eat. And don't worry about what people call their "favorite" foods for a Tortoise. For example every book and article and post I've ever read says Russians absolutely love dandelions and Mulberry leaves. Mine didn't eat a dandelion for a year and a half and she still won't eat Mulberry leaves but she eats a lot of others things and that is important part. As you have them longer and they get more comfortable they will eat a wider variety of things. BTW I'm from Loveland Colorado. I do miss that state a lot

Tortius Decimus

5 Year Member
Colorado
He ate yesterday! Finally! I let him roam the backyard. And within 5mins he would a spot and started munching on the weeds. Some Mallow and wild Morning Glory. Still will not even try grocery greens of any type tho.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
to get him to eat the greens mix it up with his grassland food, slowly feeding less and less of the stuff you don't want him eating. Welcome to TFO

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
The weeds are better for them anyway :) he might as will eat as much of that as he can before winter sets in. There are some good lists of Tortoise safe weeds in the care sheets in the Russian section.