New tortoise- how is he doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eamkkm

5 Year Member
Greetings to all,

I am the new guardian of a baby marginated tortoise. S/he (not sexed yet) was hatched on May 15 so is about 10 months old. He has been living with me for about a month. He has a nice, large habitat with a shredded bark substrate, hiding cave, stones to walk over, a couple of cactus plants, a water bath/drinking source with a couple of steps he can walk down to.

I am feeding him mixed organic greens, dandelion greens, occasional bit of kale daily. Every couple of days he gets a tortoise pellet (Mazuri) softened in water. Every 2 days his food is dusted with calcium, one a week with a multivit. He has a combo lamp which is about at 90 degrees F.

He spends most of his time buried down in the substrate. Every couple of days he eats all his food. in between he eats some. Once in awhile he eats pretty well none. I then give him a small bath, he poops and then will eat the next day. I am not finding poop in the habitat although it is large compared to him and maybe it is buried.

Does this behaviour sound okay? We live in Toronto so he is indoors.

Thanks.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I think that one of the things I would change is to bump the basking spot to closer t 98-100 degrees so that he can move to that spot and regulate his temps...but then he must also have a cooler spot in the enclosure that he can then go to do cool down----a baby does tend to hide out a bit more...but I would be sure to try to feed/soak/lights on-off as much as possible at the same time each day so that the little one can plan his day around these important events/items...

I would love to see a pic :D

Kerryann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Bloomfield MI
ascott said:
I think that one of the things I would change is to bump the basking spot to closer t 98-100 degrees so that he can move to that spot and regulate his temps...but then he must also have a cooler spot in the enclosure that he can then go to do cool down----a baby does tend to hide out a bit more...but I would be sure to try to feed/soak/lights on-off as much as possible at the same time each day so that the little one can plan his day around these important events/items...

I would love to see a pic :D

I'd love to see him too.
My marginated was a ninja pooer for a long time. He poops over by where he basks and then it gets buried in with his substrate which makes finding it difficult. I thought he didn't poo for a long time because I didn't see him poop or see any poop for probably almost a month. He also never poops in his bath unless he wants to umm exercise his boy parts. He does love his baths though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.