My tortoise is about a year old but he has stopped eating like he wants to hibernate?

Fueledbylatte

Location (City and/or State)
Quedgeley, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Okay so my marginated tortoise is just under a year old, and recently hes been acting weird. He has stopped eating for most days and just sleeps in the corner of his viv. I am home some days and havent seen him walking around hardly at all! Some days he does eat, but not a lot. His weight isnt changing much.
It has been cold where I live for the past few weeks but the temperature in his viv hast changed.
Anyone know why he is acting like this? I don't want to hibernate him because hes only young and my last tortoise died during hibernation. I was told by the breeder this breed didn't NEED to hibernate but could if i wanted to.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Try adding a couple of hours to your lights on schedule.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
My Russian did this & I do not hibernate either. I woke her up every day & soaked her under her light for 15-20 mins. I increased the temp in her enclosure a bit. I also hand feed her everyday & she ate a little that way. Most of the time She would only eat her favorite food item which is Romaine lettuce so i wrapped other good for her items in it so she got a proper diet. This went on for a month. She has just snapped out of it last week and is back to eating on her own.

Fueledbylatte

Quedgeley, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
My Russian did this & I do not hibernate either. I woke her up every day & soaked her under her light for 15-20 mins. I increased the temp in her enclosure a bit. I also hand feed her everyday & she ate a little that way. Most of the time She would only eat her favorite food item which is Romaine lettuce so i wrapped other good for her items in it so she got a proper diet. This went on for a month. She has just snapped out of it last week and is back to eating on her own.
Thank you for the reply, I'm glad i'm not alone with this! Some very good ideas, thank you! I will try them and let you know how it goes :)