New Tortoise Grandma

BoyMom×3

Location (City and/or State)
Ashburn,VA
Hello, my 13 year old just got an Eastern Hermanns tortiose yesterday making me a tortoise grandma lol. I know there will be and adjustment period for the guy. Just looking for some tip and trick everyone has learn along theor journey. He just came yesterday and hasn't eaten bit a tiny nibleof food offered. I am soaking him and he has fresh water always available. When should I concern myself with the not eating. My son also has an aerogarden and wants to grow some plants in. He has six spots to grow and about and 12 to 16 inches of growing room. I'm not a super tech savvy formum mom so be kind. I just want to make sure I can help my son be a successful tortoise owner. He had a box turtle for a few years so we're familiar with heating light, environmental and food when it come to her. I know they're completely different but do share in some of the care. So any help would be great. We're doing this together so he may or may not be reading things posted too. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20220707_091658.jpg
    20220707_091658.jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 5

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Here is the correct care info. If the housing, heat, and lights are correct, the appetite should pick up:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello, my 13 year old just got an Eastern Hermanns tortiose yesterday making me a tortoise grandma lol. I know there will be and adjustment period for the guy. Just looking for some tip and trick everyone has learn along theor journey. He just came yesterday and hasn't eaten bit a tiny nibleof food offered. I am soaking him and he has fresh water always available. When should I concern myself with the not eating. My son also has an aerogarden and wants to grow some plants in. He has six spots to grow and about and 12 to 16 inches of growing room. I'm not a super tech savvy formum mom so be kind. I just want to make sure I can help my son be a successful tortoise owner. He had a box turtle for a few years so we're familiar with heating light, environmental and food when it come to her. I know they're completely different but do share in some of the care. So any help would be great. We're doing this together so he may or may not be reading things posted too. Thanks again.
Hello and welcome. I'm not an expert so I'd rather they answer all your questions. But I can tell you this, they do take a while to settle. The best thing to do is allow the little one to destress. I'm sure the experts will help soon. In the meantime just do regular care. If you post some pictures of your setup and such they will be able to help you better 😊

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
The expert was the 1st one to answer as you know Ms. Cathie, BMX3 hit a home run! Talk about being on time!

Those care sheets are amazing....pay attention, some real talent put those together....best I've seen anywhere.

Good luck and welcome.....he's a cute little guy!

jeff

BoyMom×3

Ashburn,VA
Hello and welcome. I'm not an expert so I'd rather they answer all your questions. But I can tell you this, they do take a while to settle. The best thing to do is allow the little one to destress. I'm sure the experts will help soon. In the meantime just do regular care. If you post some pictures of your setup and such they will be able to help you better 😊
Thank you. I'll try to get pictures after the boys go down

BoyMom×3

Ashburn,VA
Thank you. I'll try to get pictures after the boys go down. It's a simple set up. I asked since Moo is only 1 month old as of July 1st. They said 20 gallon tank. So thats what I got. We haven't killed the box turtle so when he asked if he used his own money could he get a tortoise I said sure. Moo seems to love the colored pellets we got as a back up but ignores the dandelions and clovers we picked from the field behind us. I just offered after I posted because I was worried. He also totally ignores his hide and buries himself next to it.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The box turtle is a girl or so I'm told. Even if Moo is a boy my husband is my biggest boy out of them all lol.
Yea and I live with my brother 😜 I understand . Do you still have the little box turtle? Well then it's 2 against 5. And chicks rule.👑

BoyMom×3

Ashburn,VA
Yea and I live with my brother 😜 I understand . Do you still have the little box turtle? Well then it's 2 against 5. And chicks rule.👑
Yes, she's just goes with the flow. We move her out during summer to the patio to keep watch over his bucket cucumbers lol. She will celebrate 3 years on Sept. 30th. We do cupcakes and everything. I have two on the spectrum and my middle Liams mind is a wonder but I just go with it. My youngest who is lower functioning doesn't like that Moo gets some of his dandelions. He likes to eat them. So we grow them for him. This way we know they're safe and the doctor approved which surprised me. But apparently they're 100% safe for humans down to the roots. So there's Liam turtle/tortoise/cow lover and gardener and Breckin dandelion eater lol. All the boys are happy and healthy so what if they're a bit odd by society standard.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes, she's just goes with the flow. We move her out during summer to the patio to keep watch over his bucket cucumbers lol. She will celebrate 3 years on Sept. 30th. We do cupcakes and everything. I have two on the spectrum and my middle Liams mind is a wonder but I just go with it. My youngest who is lower functioning doesn't like that Moo gets some of his dandelions. He likes to eat them. So we grow them for him. This way we know they're safe and the doctor approved which surprised me. But apparently they're 100% safe for humans down to the roots. So there's Liam turtle/tortoise/cow lover and gardener and Breckin dandelion eater lol. All the boys are happy and healthy so what if they're a bit odd by society standard.
My local grocery store sells dandelion greens for humans.😁 apparently people are finally catching up with critters that they aren't just a weed to kill. They're edible. It took us a while but some of us finally get it 😂

BoyMom×3

Ashburn,VA
I take him on 20 mile bike rides. Got a cargo bike special to do it. He will tell me stop eat eat and it's dandelions lol. So there I am 40 years old riding a 67 almost 11 year old on the back stopping to get dandelions. The looks we get lol.