New tortoise food!!happyhappy

Mightymcknighty

5 Year Member
image.jpgSo yesterday afternoon I was out loakin around at the local pet store at BigAls and was looking for supples. I picked up Mazuri Tortoise for for 8$ and this is the first time I have ever decided to buy it after researching for amazing results. My yearling tortoise never would eat them dry if I offered it to him I assume that because the food is rock hard and he probably can't bite into it and break it down so I soaked mine in like warm water just a little bit of water then I smooshed two pellets together and mashed them all up until it was looking like cat food he has been eating for a solid 10 Mounties and still continues to do so. I'm loving this food as my redfoot is also I can't wait to feed him more in the future! Great product.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yeah...I'm taking care of someone's two RF tortoises and of all the different species I keep here in Clovis, the RF's love the Mazuri the best.

Mightymcknighty

5 Year Member
Ascott you sure have that right I couldn't believe it! He absolutely loved it didn't even touch his lettuce with repashys on it.

YvonneG glad to hear they're liking it also! It never really came across my mind till yesterday to buy some! I'm glad I picked some up tho no regrets

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
The only trouble you might have is they may not want anything else but the mazuri. Its very addictive...

Mightymcknighty

5 Year Member
Omg so true. Today he would only eat his wet moistened mazuri food and I offered him his favourite romaine lettuce but he denied that and continued on with the Mazuri , this is what I'm probably going to be feeding him most of the time. Is it okay to add repashy supper veggie supplement to the mazuri or will he not like that? Or is there already enough supplements in the food?. Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You will need to make sure he eats other things too. The Mazuri should not be the main part of his diet. Take the Mazuri and smear it on the other foods he should be eating and don't give him just Mazuri. Make it that he has to eat the other stuff to be able to eat the Mazuri.

Mightymcknighty

5 Year Member
wellington said:
You will need to make sure he eats other things too. The Mazuri should not be the main part of his diet. Take the Mazuri and smear it on the other foods he should be eating and don't give him just Mazuri. Make it that he has to eat the other stuff to be able to eat the Mazuri.

Thanks for the input I will definitely do that, I like that idea I had that in the back of my head but i thought it was good as a main source, but I'll keep adding greens mixed in with the soggy Mazuri. Will I still be able to mix in his repashy super veggie supplements into the greens and Mazuri?

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Mightymcknighty said:
wellington said:

Thanks for the input I will definitely do that, I like that idea I had that in the back of my head but i thought it was good as a main source, but I'll keep adding greens mixed in with the soggy Mazuri. Will I still be able to mix in his repashy super veggie supplements into the greens and Mazuri?

Yes, you can mix it all together. I usually prepare their food in 3-4 days batches. Moist Mazuri, Forest tortoise, spring mix, veggies and fruits all cut up and mixed together, that way they can't pick only their favorite ;-)
Oh, I sprinkle Repashy and calcium as well.

Mightymcknighty

5 Year Member
diaboliqueturtle said:
Mightymcknighty said:
wellington said:

Yes, you can mix it all together. I usually prepare their food in 3-4 days batches. Moist Mazuri, Forest tortoise, spring mix, veggies and fruits all cut up and mixed together, that way they can't pick only their favorite ;-)
Oh, I sprinkle Repashy and calcium as well.
okay thank you very much I will do that forsure but I make one fresh daily everyday I have thought about making them in batches but I don't want the greens to go all mushy so I do it daily thanks again !!

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Hihi I always prepare their food with the intention of making A meal. But, like for myself, I have no portion control! I always end up making way more than I need :)

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
wellington said:

I give my tortoises a Mazuri feeding twice a week and they're all healthy and happy. Mazuri can be a main part of a tortoises diet, but probably shouldn't be the only part.

Yvonne, I have a theory about why Redfoots seem to love Mazuri so much (completely unscientific). Basically, Mazuri has a very strong smell, and Redfoots have one of the best noses in the Tortoise world. Don't get me wrong, my Leopard loves Mazuri too, but she doesn't go crazy before she even sees it. As soon as I scoop a handful out the redfoots are running back and forth, arching their heads up, etc.