New tortoise...excited times

spanna

I am getting my first tortoise today. I'm really excited but very nervous at the same time as I want everything to be right. Once I have got little Zeus in his new home, I will upload some pictures to share with everyone
Has anyone got any good tips for me? Thank you Spanna x

Judyann

Congrats on your first tortoise. Do you have food ready. Use fruit sparingly. What kind did you choose? and..... will it be living indoors or out?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) As soon as we know what species you are getting, we will better be able to help you. First thing when you get it, you should give it a 20-30 minute warm water soak, to be sure he is hydrated. Mother put in enclosure, make sure it's the right temps for your species, give him some food and a low side dish of water and let him be to explore and rest in his first busy day in his new home.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . It will help to know what kind of tort and your state . And to see the enclosure and the tort would help even more . But good luck with your new tort .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

spanna

Zeus is a horsefield and 7 month old. As soon as I got Zeus home, I bathed him in warm water and put some kale in his vivarium for him which he hasn't touched and worries me. I've also read a lot of information about tortoises and haven't seen anything regarding the lights on a night. Do I turn the uv light off or keep it on and any useful tips would be much appreciated x

Whitneyrae

Personally I turn my uv lights off at night, my house is about 71-72 degrees and I've read that it's good to let their temps vary from day to night. Your set up is beautiful! I would
Suggest switching to coco coir, it's better for holding moisture and resisting molding. Congrats on the new baby! ☺️

spanna

That's what the previous owner gave me, however I have some other stuff for the base of the viv which will better for Zeus to dig in and better to see what mess has been made. Thank you x