New Tort For Zamric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
Well, the wife said "no" to another Sucata in the house but I've got my heart set on a Hatchling Tortoise to raise:rolleyes:

So my question to the General public is this....

I want a tortoise that does not hibernate but wont get big enough to challange WalkingRock for the yard. I have a section of my yard that is isolated enough that WR doesn't acknowledge it and can house a med sized tort (20-30 lbs).

What kind of tortoises are there that fit this discription and will do well in Texas

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
The section of my yard that will be set aside for my new tort is COMPLETELY isolated from WalkingRocks Turf. and I should have plenty of time to get it ready if I start with a hatchling.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know the Texas laws regarding Texas's native tortoise, but a couple of Gopherus berlandieri might be a nice addition to your yard. I love mine!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Do the hibernate? This is one reason I like WalkingRock so much.... No Hibernation!

Nevermind.... Just found this....

Conservation status

Though considered an animal of low concern by the IUCN Red List, the Texas Tortoise is listed as a threatened species in the state of Texas, and thus protected by state law. It is illegal to collect or possess them.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Thanks for all the suggestions!

After doing a bit of research on size, habitat, diet, and general Comelyness I narrowed it down to the Red/Yellowfoot or the Leopard.

...and after Re-evaluating my total space to house and adult... I've decided to go with a Redfoot:D

I really like the looks of a leopard but the total size of adlut habitate would be tight if he gets larger than 16". With the Redfoot, I'll have plenty of space, enough space for a second Redfoot if I decide on that route:rolleyes:

Thanks again for all your suggestions:)

tortoise-kid

5 Year Member
You wont regret getting a Red Foot! From my experience they are so sweet (never bitten me), cute, and curious. :D

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
Zamric said:
Thanks for all the suggestions!

After doing a bit of research on size, habitat, diet, and general Comelyness I narrowed it down to the Red/Yellowfoot or the Leopard.

...and after Re-evaluating my total space to house and adult... I've decided to go with a Redfoot:D

I really like the looks of a leopard but the total size of adlut habitate would be tight if he gets larger than 16". With the Redfoot, I'll have plenty of space, enough space for a second Redfoot if I decide on that route:rolleyes:

Thanks again for all your suggestions:)

As a wife whose husband blatantly disregards my suggestions on a regular basis, better start buttering her up well in advance of your purchase ;)

This thread made me LOL. Very funny. Very relatable.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
No buttering up needed!
Tho she doesn't understand my wanting to start a hatchling, she does understand the "draw" of a tortoise! after all, she raised walkingRock from the day he hatched and would love another one but the chance and heartbreak of raising another male just isn't in the cards... besides, as stated earlier, we're to old to raise another Sulcata without a proper inheritance! (we have 1 grandchild looking foward to the day she takes over with WalkingRock and she is only 10!)
Of course the purchas of said Redfoot or 2 Redfoots will be on my dime and not from household expences (She lets me have some of my paycheck for allowance:p) God I love this woman!:D

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
maggie3fan said:
I say Hermanni

I looked into the Hermanni as one of my 1st choises because of color and shell design,but ultimatly I wanted somthing, LARGER! The Leopard is perfect, but the eventual Adult Habitat couldn't contain him at full sized and lets face it, WalkingRock aint givin' up NONE of his space!

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
Zamric said:
No buttering up needed!
Tho she doesn't understand my wanting to start a hatchling, she does understand the "draw" of a tortoise! after all, she raised walkingRock from the day he hatched and would love another one but the chance and heartbreak of raising another male just isn't in the cards... besides, as stated earlier, we're to old to raise another Sulcata without a proper inheritance! (we have 1 grandchild looking foward to the day she takes over with WalkingRock and she is only 10!)
Of course the purchas of said Redfoot or 2 Redfoots will be on my dime and not from household expences (She lets me have some of my paycheck for allowance:p) God I love this woman!:D

Sooo cute!! I'm sure you will find something you both can live with.. :)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
OK, Now for the hard part of this Quest.... Does anyone on this Forum sell Redfoots and how much am I looking to spend on 1 or a pair?

Im real partial to colorations in the Bright orange hues or redish orange. do these colors breed true or is coloration just a shot in the dark?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are lots of Redfoot breeders here on the site, but I don't think there will be any hatchlings this time of year. Might have to wait for spring time. I don't mean to exclude any one but try, TylerStewart, Jackrat, Allegraf, and tortoiseNERD. I know all four of them produce great redfoots and are all good people too. I'm sure there are more here on the site, please forgive me if I left anyone out. These four just came to mind immediately.

Oh, and I'm just curious, how big is the outside pen that these will go into? Oh yeah, and one other thing... I recommend against pairs. Redfoots are one of the least likely to give you problems, but still, pair dynamics can be difficult. They will do much better, in general, if you have only one or a group of at least three or more. Maybe you can work out a volume discount with a breeder here. :D

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
The size of my enclosure is an "L" shape 3' wide with one leg being 15' long and the other about 45' long and totally terraformable to do anything I like... it gets very little direct sunlight but still a bright area for any plants and grasses I want to plant...

And as for time of hatching... I'm looking now to get my name on eggs in incubation... I want to start as early as possable in my broods health and welfare. Do you think 3 would fit im my enclosure? I could build a large enough house to house and heat them at the short end (WalkingRocks current house would be GREAT for 3 Red Foots) but is there enough Square Footage for 3 adults to roam comfortably.

Also and issue with any female.... this is a very "rooty" area as 3 trees have root systems here. There will be little or NO area for digging to nest. will this lead to egg binding?

Status
Not open for further replies.