new to tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

annieexton

5 Year Member
Hello all!
My name is Annie and I live in PA.
I am finally going to make my 9 year olds dreams come true and get him a tortoise. I think I am getting as excited as he is! After lots of research, I have decided on a Russian Tortoise and have been all over the internet trying to decide where to buy one from. My question for all of you is this....should I try to get a captive bred baby, so that the little guy will not 'miss' living in the outside world, or would it be OK to get an adult. I certainly plan on taking the guy outside as much as is possible....
And also, do you recommend any breeders?? How soon would I be able to get the guy?? Hoping to surprise my boy in two weeks for his birthday.
Thank you so much in advance for your help! I find forums like these to be just wonderful for advice and such!!
Annie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Annie!

I think you may have trouble finding a captive bred steppe (Russian) tortoise. But take a look through our old "sold" threads and make a note of those members who have sold them in the past. If you contact them, they may still have some.

annieexton

5 Year Member
Thank you Yvonne!!! Do you, then, think it OK to go ahead and buy an adult?? Where do most breeders get the adults??

I think you may have trouble finding a captive bred steppe (Russian) tortoise. But take a look through our old "sold" threads and make a note of those members who have sold them in the past. If you contact them, they may still have some.
[/quote]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. If you can't find one of our members selling babies, them try the faunaclassified.com. There might be some there. I would deff try one of our members first. Good luck. Yes, if you found some, you would be able to get it in a day as they need to be shipped over night. Have it shipped though in the beginning of the week. Not a Thursday, Friday or Saturday.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome! Russians are a perfect beginner tort, great choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.