New to tortoise forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollypsin

5 Year Member
Hi everybody! I'm Holly and I currently care for a Ca desert tortoise. George Cooper is about 20 yrs old and has been in my care for the past 5. He is very active, healthy, and happy and I would like to keep him that way. Subscribing to this forum is just another way in doing so.

Also, I'm am looking to see if anyone has an abundance of opuntia and could possibly spare a couple paddles...we just moved (sacramento area) and so I am already planning my food sources for George for next year...was thinking opuntia will be a good one to plant early so he'll have a bunch in the spring...here's to hoping!

Thanks!:D

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Holly welcome to the TFO and the cactus pads are sold in stores where they put the veggys leave it at room temp. For 24- 48 hours then stick it in the ground give it some water once a week til started

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Yes, like Grandpa Turtle 144 said. Let them sit so they can callous at the bottom. From that callous is where the roots crab out. If they callous, they won't go mushy before they root. I like to dip my cuttings in ground cinnamon, first, then let them sit from a few days to several weeks (we get busy, right?) in the shade but they do okay even in the sun. They do hold up. Little survivors. Ground up cinnamon because it seems to help since it is antibacterial and antifungal. Another tip: I use cinnamon with plumeria cuttings too. Plumerias for pretty flowers and for a scented garden, not for tortoise food.

I get my nopales cactus pads at Latino stores. Sometimes you do find the spineless ones also. El Super in Orange County has had them on sale at times (Veggies go on super sale every Wednesday) for 5 pounds for 99 cents. That is so crazy cray cray! Some to eat, some to grow. Repeat. Usually they are 2 pounds for 99 cents. Enjoy growing and later snapping them for your precious CDT.

Now, please do share why he is named George Cooper. The English actor maybe? Love. : )

Oh, and welcome Holly! Best forum ever. Good move.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Holly!

Hollypsin

5 Year Member
Grandpa turtle- thanks for the helpful hints!

Beebee*beeleaves- I'll have to try the ground cinnamon with the cactus pads..never thought of it. I'm going to head over to the nearest Latino store and see what they have. Hopefully I can find some great deals here too! Thanks for the advice:)

Beebee*beeleaves- Oh and the name George Cooper was just a name we came up with... Didn't even realize that there was an English actor with the same name. He just looked like a 'George' to me..and since he's a tortoise and coupes himself in his shell, 'Cooper' seemed appropriate as well:)

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
I think this is a good thread to ask this...
Can I plant cactus in my tortoise cage?
I feed them cactus often but first I pick it then boil it to get the spines out. Is the boiling necessary?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Cactus need hot dry places and torts need hot humid places . And I've been feeding my torts cactus pads right out of the garden but the fruits I have to cut in half or they will not eat them. Is someone spoiled?

Hollypsin

5 Year Member
Tortoise4653- I am planning to keep the cacti out of the pen just for the sake of him not being able to eat all of it, especially before they get a chance to establish themselves. Figure I can do the dirty work and remove the needles and ensure he only gets the newer softer pads. Although, I have heard the tortoise needles don't seem to hurt the tortoise, I choose to remove them by either burning off or scraping off prior to feeding them to George Cooper.

Grandpa turtle- here in the valley we get fairly hot, dry summers. Succulents and cacti seem to do preetty well around this area. I do my best to make sure George stays hydrated and ALWAYS has a den to escape to.. Varying his diet even more is a challenge but im determined to get there and want to keep adding as time goes by. Spoiled tortoise? Yes, and he should be!

Status
Not open for further replies.