New to This. Help greatly appreciated:)

Endellion77

Location (City and/or State)
NV
Hello! I’m new to all of this. I’m searching to buy my first tortoise. I want to find a breeder so I’m not getting an imported pet. Looking for small ones like a Russian or Hermann’s. I would love any advice or suggestions! Thanks!

I’m located currently in Nevada, but will be going to Idaho in the next year or so.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Hello and welcome!

Keep in mind that even though small, they require a LARGE area. They love and need to roam to be happy and healthy ?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Don’t forget large pockets! Their cost is a drop in the bucket! I recommend setting up an enclosure and growing plants first. I did that for 6 months before I got my Russian from @Carol S and now have a healthy/grumpy 3 year old!

Attachments

• 789707DF-58FF-4BFB-80C3-E4060691691E.jpeg
    789707DF-58FF-4BFB-80C3-E4060691691E.jpeg
    15.3 KB · Views: 11

Endellion77

NV
Don’t forget large pockets! Their cost is a drop in the bucket! I recommend setting up an enclosure and growing plants first. I did that for 6 months before I got my Russian from @Carol S and now have a healthy/grumpy 3 year old!

Thank You for the Breeder suggestion! I am definitely planning on seeing where I can find one first before getting too crazy with my plans. I’ve done a great amount of research but kept finding contradictory information and sketchy seeming sites. I want to know what to plan for and where to get it all before jumping right into something.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Thank You for the Breeder suggestion! I am definitely planning on seeing where I can find one first before getting too crazy with my plans. I’ve done a great amount of research but kept finding contradictory information and sketchy seeming sites. I want to know what to plan for and where to get it all before jumping right into something.
Good!
The info here is top notch! All new and so much better than what you will find on google. Read our care sheets here and you will be off to an amazing start. Avoid the online tortoise farms essentially. Definitely talk to the breeder he recommended ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

We have some great breeders here on the Forum. You can find a few of them here: