Hello,

Mrs._Miller42

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hello,
I have recently added an Eastern or Dalmatian Hermann’s Tortoise to our family! His name is Oogway and he is 2-3yrs old. Upon purchasing him from the pet store we were concerned he was not being cared for properly so we took him to the vet where they told us he was very dehydrated. They also recommend that we do not keep him in the enclosure we had set up for him...bummer...so I am looking either for suggestions on how to make this enclosure work better or if really need be will just get a new one all together so tortoise table suggestions are also appreciated. Also and advice tips or tricks or if you think I’m doing something incorrectly please please please let me know. We just wanted him out of a bad situation and we want to do right by him. Thank you for your time,
Brooklyn

B3402372-998E-4B77-8C00-28606871B477.jpeg

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Hello,
I have recently added an Eastern or Dalmatian Hermann’s Tortoise to our family! His name is Oogway and he is 2-3yrs old. Upon purchasing him from the pet store we were concerned he was not being cared for properly so we took him to the vet where they told us he was very dehydrated. They also recommend that we do not keep him in the enclosure we had set up for him...bummer...so I am looking either for suggestions on how to make this enclosure work better or if really need be will just get a new one all together so tortoise table suggestions are also appreciated. Also and advice tips or tricks or if you think I’m doing something incorrectly please please please let me know. We just wanted him out of a bad situation and we want to do right by him. Thank you for your time,
Brooklyn
Hi and welcome!

I would definitely switch the food and water dishes. You want to go for taracata saucers so your tort doesn't drown and it helps file his break down when he eats. Those bowls are good for snakes, but are death traps for tortoises since they can't bend like other reptiles...

Someone with experience with Hermann's specifically will come soon though to help more!

Congratulations on your new baby!

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Thank you!
I also totally understand wanting to give him a better life. There's one at my local petsmart that pulls at all my heart strings...

Did they say why exactly they dont want him in the enclosure? Was it an exotic specific vet? Jc

ISU

South Korea
Hello and welcome

There are many veteran keepers here. I'm a Beginner, and I got a lot of information from here

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi, and welcome to TFO!

I've never kept a Hermann's, but some things are universal in their care.

Tortoises need a lot of space to walk because they can't digest their food if they don't. So your enclosure is way too small. There is no tank that is going to be big enough, so you are correct in asking about a table. If that's how you house him, it will need to be at least 4 ft x 8 ft. Hopefully someone in your family is handy building a box this size. Some people get an old bookcase, remove the shelves, and line it with a heavy plastic, like pond liner.

The lights on your tank aren't doing you any good. UVB does not pass through anything...not screen, not glass.
And as Srmcclure said above, the bowls are dangerous for tortoises. Those round temp gauges are notoriously inaccurate, plus it's mounted too high...it needs to be at tort height. I think you should take the tank, lights, and bowls back and get your refund. Then we can advise you what to get at Lowe's or Home Depot. It will cost you less than the pet store stuff.

I'm not sure about humidity for a Hermann's. This care sheet was written by a member who is all about Hermann's. You can absolutely trust this info. Read this and come back with questions.

Please also post some pictures of your new friend. From above, from below, and head on. Also the tail area from below. We'll be able to tell you what kind of Hermann's you have.

Mrs._Miller42

Virginia
I also totally understand wanting to give him a better life. There's one at my local petsmart that pulls at all my heart strings...

Did they say why exactly they dont want him in the enclosure? Was it an exotic specific vet? Jc
Yes she is the only exotic vet local to us and so far she has been so wonderful. She recently helped me nurse a Cuban false chameleon back to health. She also has a tortoise herself and recommend this page for advice as well! Said ya’ll are some of the nicest people. She said class enclosure like that turn into a green house effect I believe and that it will not hold the humidity at the level we need it to. I was wondering if anyone on here new if there was a way to turn the enclosure I have into something resembling a tortoise box or if I should just get rid all together!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Brooklyn, and WElcome to the Forum!

Your aquarium would be ok, and you've set it up beautifully, and the 'greenhouse effect' is one you WANT for a baby tortoise, however, a two to three year old tortoise (purchased from pet store = probably much older than that) needs more space to wander around. It just isn't big enough for a young tortoise.