New to this forum but not so new to torts..

vanilla13gorilla

Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Hi guys and ladies,

New to this forum but like the subject said, not so new to torts.. had several Russians over the years and currently have two males that are happy and very healthy!!. It took some time to get them this way from a local pet store..not good living conditions. I have a few blonde Leo's on the way, young ones and should be here by mid week from a breeder in CA. I have been setting up the new inside shelters for these two Leo's the past several days.. it dose take a lot of time to just get it right.. more so then the Russians. Problem is, I live in Nebraska and is very cold here now and even lower humidity!.. trying to get to the magical 80% humidity and 80 degree is hard.. when my inside temps are 70 and humidity is around 40%... I'm tying but finding it hard to keep it stable.

Anyways... great to be here with some great knowledge from a group of nice people.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome.:). Be sure to have a cover on the enclosure, that usually helps with temps and humidity. Toms threads for proper Leo raisng and housing are below in my post. If you have t seen them yet, please read them. If you have, well they are their incase you need to look back. Don't forget pics of your Russians and Leo's when they arrive.

Oh, and be sure to soak your Leo's in warm water for about half an hour as soon as you inbox them.

vanilla13gorilla

Nebraska
Thanks guys for the warm welcome.. bigred. . Yes a breeder in CA. Not a bad guy. Great communications and helped me with many questions.

I'm just happy to be here with dome great people that have the same interests..

...will be soaking when they arrive and everyday forward.. don't want the bad looking shells that I see.. smooth and healthy. . Well, I will do all I can. Uvb, t5 on the way to help.. any input and creative criticism is always appreciated.

Thanks guys..

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
vanilla13gorilla said:
Thanks guys for the warm welcome.. bigred. . Yes a breeder in CA. Not a bad guy. Great communications and helped me with many questions.

I'm just happy to be here with dome great people that have the same interests..

...will be soaking when they arrive and everyday forward.. don't want the bad looking shells that I see.. smooth and healthy. . Well, I will do all I can. Uvb, t5 on the way to help.. any input and creative criticism is always appreciated.

Thanks guys..

Hope it all works out and thwy are healthy

vanilla13gorilla

Nebraska
I have a 3/4" mdf coveting the tank.. 95 gallon old koi tank.. still.. I have a 100 watt brooders heat lamp, 105 under their. Ambient of 83 degrees with the brooders light on.. 72 degrees with it off!!.. running a lasko 200 watt personal heater using peat moss.. pretty wet.. non stop. Humidiy stays around 70~75%.. t he hotter I make it, the lower the humidity goes. I read Tom's thread many timed, good stuff.. might splurge for a small humidifier and a cermaic heater.. I know my basement falls to 60 degrees at night.!. I don't think it should be so hard raising the temp 20+ degrees.. but who knows.

2013-12-04%2012.35.37.jpg

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ
Can you help some one with Russians
You said you have had Russians over the years may I ask what happened to them ? The reason I ask is from what I've read on the TFO Russians don't
Do well in groups ? Thank you for your
Time and answers

vanilla13gorilla

Nebraska
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ
Can you help some one with Russians
You said you have had Russians over the years may I ask what happened to them ? The reason I ask is from what I've read on the TFO Russians don't
Do well in groups ? Thank you for your
Time and answers

I'm am no expert but I can shed a little light into your questions. As far as the personalities, they do well together, as far as I can tell. I did have one some time ago, would not get along with anyone. I believe they all have individual personalities and they seem to like the company of one another. During mating time, I cant speak of that as I do not have them in opposite sexes, looking to get them healthy, not a breeding program. I'm sure someone can chime in on that subject.. I would guess they are aggressive towards each other during that time. In general, all my males do fine with one another as long as I put them into a 'tank-cage' at the same time.. They don't seem to develop territories so quickly that way. Now, introducing a 'new' tank mate to an established group is a bit harder, they like to push the new one around.. so I just simply do a face lift of the whole tank and they all seem a bit confused and go about there business fine..

Yes, I had a 'few' Russians over the years.. and as stated, I only have 2 males now that I will keep. I do my part to 'rescue' these guys form pet stores.. so over the course of many years, you sort of get to know them.. I know NOT to buy from the big box pet stores but someone has to and try to help these guys back to health. After they have been vet checked, eating healthy, and are starting to look like a Tort again I try to give them to a Children's Hospital, where they have the funding and resources to provide a nice environment for the sick kids to watch!!. Over the course of years, I only lost 1 Russian prom a pet store that they just gave to me at no charge.. This guy was bad off and nothing was going to bring him back. But we tried, guess it's the nature of the beast.

My first rescue was back in the 80's when I was around 10 years old, my mother took me to an Asian food store in San Jose, CA. They had ALL kinds of Red Ear Sliders in a tank!!. I thought it was cool they had a pet store in a grocery store. My mom told me that they are for sale to EAT!!. WTH??.. I went home and got all of my $$ and went back and bought every R.E.S. and let then go into my dads pond in northern CA..

Been trying to help them ever since... I guess that food store traumatized me!.

I hope some of my babbling helps in any way!!..

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Thank you for your time in answering my question and it was very interesting
To read and I see your torts make as happy as mine do me
Have great day and good luck with your project