new to the world....

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendra

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edmonton
Hi my name is Kendra and I am new to the world or tortoises....

I just (yesterday 11MAR04) purchased a young red foot tortoise and I do have a few questions... I am presently feeding him/her fresh veggies including right now fresh greens and squash, which I am pleased to say she ate some of over night, but the little guy does not want to really open his eyes. I am thinking this is just due to stress as being moved from the pet store to the house, at least I hope so.

I will be building a custom enclosure this spring for him as well and want to put in a live plant if I can but would like to know what may be safe, and not eaten, by the goober. Any help and input to a newbie is greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing any advice people may have for me! :)

As you can tell, I don't have a name for him (HELP) and would like a gender neutral name as I have no idea the sex... My beardie's name is Drew Allison Carey, or DAC for short lol

Thanks everyone!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*waves* Hi Kendra! Okay he did eat, which is a good sign in itself, especially since you just got him yesterday. To really give you any major suggestions we will need more information on how you have him setup (substrate, temps, lights (if any),humidity, hides, ect..,) For that it really would be best for you to be brave and make another new thread, this time in the Redfoot area and giving all all the information you can about the new habitat and the tortoise (young, but how young? Rough length flat surface level (do not measure over his back). Just all helps us give you some better ideas.

Also keep in mind that he is under a lot of stress right now with being moved yesterday, relax just a little and give him some time. Were did you get him (a petstore?) and can you share what his environment was like there? Have you soaked him yet?

A plant that is safe, but not eaten...ummm plastic? :cool::D Do you want a plant that is in the substrate or one above that hangs down into the enclosure?

Are you wanting something like this:
037-2.jpg

Soon TerryO will appear and show you some of hers, which are awesome.

kendra

5 Year Member
Edmonton
Ya I got the goober at Big Al's, the substrate there was the regular soil, the stuff you buy as bricks, and mine is a mix of the same soil and the wood chips around his water bowl. He was actually in his water dish this morning and I misted last night before bed. For a hide, I have one of the silk plants and all of the leaves bent over to provide full cover to eliminate stress. The tank is exposed to plenty of natural light, south facing window, and a heat light is used to keep it warmer.

He is probably only 4 in in length right now so just a little guy.

As for a plant, it would be above ground in a separate pot... everytime I try to plant anything in my tanks, someone digs it up anyway haha!

And yes that is an awesome interior look! The outside will be different but I definitely love the plants!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kendra:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know where you are?

kendra

5 Year Member
Edmonton
They open for a little, they were open yesterday for a bit when I was at a distance but when I got closer it was as though it was a go pound sand moment from him. The whole "if I can't see you, you can't see me"... He is just on standard bark bits and soil and has natural sunlight and a low watt heat light.

LindaF

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum and wonderful world of red foots!

kendra

5 Year Member
Edmonton
I live in Edmonton Alberta!! WHOOT it is freaking cold here for any that live in warmer places! :)

Zeely

5 Year Member
PA
Heya and welcome!

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
First of all welcome to the forum kendra are you going to be sticking around?.....
Well it looks like youve got alot of good information already......
First of all it is an absolute pleasure to know he/she is feeding well......(as been pointed out)
Could you post pics?
Do ya have a viv or a tank or a tort table for him/her?
About the eyes it may be stress...but it may not just keep watch on them :L
Did you do research before you got/purchased this lil' fella?
If not you could always nip to this site:
http://www.turtletary.com/main.htm This guys name is "terry" and his website realy did help me at the beginning.....

And on names: (sorry could not find unisex names so here is a variety of some)

*cooper
*george
*shelly
*speedy
*warrior
*billie
*beans
*baxter
*bubbles
*boggy
*Bobert
*tank
*felix
*fergie
*Izzy
*Lily
*Lucifer
*Scooby
*Seamore
*Sebastian
*Sheldon
*Scout
*Scooter
*Shellby
*Sniper
*Stump
*squirt
*Yoda
*Turby

( i am sorry they are mostly male but i could not find any female)

(POST PICTURES OF TORT AND SETUP!)

kendra

5 Year Member
Edmonton
HAHAHA I loves BEANS! Beans it is! Right now its just a 10 gal tank as he/she is just a little guy but in the spring I will be building an enclosure similar to that of a tortoise table

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Haha im glad you enjoyed these random names i made up ahaha......
and a 10gal tank should be fine for now......and nice to hear you are going to build an enclosure.
Hope you and "BEANZ" has a nice life together is it possible for you to post any pictures?....
I also have a redfooted tortoise called "LOLA" she is amazing... XD
She is 5 ...how old is beans?..... file:///C:/Users/gary/Pictures/lola.jpg

kendra

5 Year Member
Edmonton
Beans is just a young turtle if I had to guess around 6 months... They weren't sure

Status
Not open for further replies.