New to the family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rascal Rock

5 Year Member
Hey all I have recently brought home a beautiful 6 month old marginated that we named dandy lion. I was wondering if you all could give the marginated baby 411. We are very excited about our new little one. Thanks guys.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Rascal Rock:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your questions.

I'll just give you some general information, because I don't keep the marginated tortoises and really know nothing about them.

First of all, and most important, keep the baby warm. I like to use the MVB (mercury vapor bulb) because it provides heat and UVB in the same bulb/fixture. Make sure he has a hiding place so he can get out of the heat/light if he wants to. Soak him in warm water every day. You might chop up his food until he gets strong enough to be able to bite it off himself.

Can we see pictures of your new baby?

Rascal Rock

5 Year Member
I live in northern California, the bay area to be more exact. I'm keep my lil one in doors for the time being in a 50 gal rubber maid container. The substrate is a mix of play sand and coconut husk brick thing. I'm and using a mercury vapor bulb that I am running 12 hours day. I need help on the feedings. I fed her on Wednesday and she chowed down 5 dandelions but how often should I feed? She seems to be a finicky eater. I only brought her home on Sunday so could she still be getting use to her new home?

Rascal Rock

5 Year Member
I live in northern California in the bay area.
She is living in a rubber maid container.
Th substrate is a mixture of play sand and coconut husk brick thing.
I'm using a mercury vapor bulb that runs for about 12 hours a day.
I feed her some dance lion on Wednesday that she chowed down but she hasn't eaten much since then. I have pet store tort food for her but she doesn't like it.
And I don't see her much during the day. Granted I'm working but she is always hiding.

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Concord, CA
Hi Rascal,
We live in Concord, & raise Marginatas. You're welcome to check things out some time if you like. Care of the Mediterranean tortoises are all pritty much the same. I like the care information at www.russiantortoise.org & have followed his guidelines over 15 years.
Dan

Rascal Rock said:
I live in northern California in the bay area.
She is living in a rubber maid container.
Th substrate is a mixture of play sand and coconut husk brick thing.
I'm using a mercury vapor bulb that runs for about 12 hours a day.
I feed her some dance lion on Wednesday that she chowed down but she hasn't eaten much since then. I have pet store tort food for her but she doesn't like it.
And I don't see her much during the day. Granted I'm working but she is always hiding.

Status
Not open for further replies.