Anxious new owner

susanbgc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hello

I was wondering if you can give me some advice??
A) we got our Sheldon who is a marginated 5 month old and since yesterday he doesn't seem to have pooped, How often do they poop?
B) I was wondering how your know if they're hydrated enough ? I bathed him this morning before work and he has his water bowl he's been in today because they're is soil in it.
C) I disturbed him earlier and he woke up, his heat light was still on, will he go back to sleep or will he be awake like its a new day ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
Re: RE: Anxious new owner

susanbgc said:
Hello

I was wondering if you can give me some advice??
A) we got our Sheldon who is a marginated 5 month old and since yesterday he doesn't seem to have pooped, How often do they poop?
B) I was wondering how your know if they're hydrated enough ? I bathed him this morning before work and he has his water bowl he's been in today because they're is soil in it.
C) I disturbed him earlier and he woke up, his heat light was still on, will he go back to sleep or will he be awake like its a new day ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

hey there! we were all once worried parents :p

a healthy tortoise that's not stressed could poop everyday, every other day...it really depends how much they eat and their personal cycle (like people) if you recently received your tort and he hasn't gotten use to the new home he may not poop for a couple days. if your tort is eating and hasn't pooped in a week i might get worried.

a general way to tell if they are hydrated is if their eyes are full and not sunken into their heads. for a baby tortoise i would bath it in a bucket of warm water every other day for 20 mins. make sure the water doesn't get cold or your tort could get sick. this will usually stimulate them to poop as well, change the water. always provide a water dish he can access easily in his enclosure.

and i don't really understand your last question. i bug my tortoise whenever i need/want to unless she's eating. tortoises take a lot of naps throughout the day but most also sleep all night because it is dark. kinda like a baby :D if he's still tired he will continue sleeping. if not, he'll roam around a bit.

smylemaker

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I bug my tort all day so he doesnt keep kids up digging, he does seem to take alot of naps, I am guessing like a baby he needs too? happy learning here in this wonderful forum... I am a new owner too and so many PPL here are just wonderful.... I too am a nervous momma...