new to site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narrisah

5 Year Member
Hi everyone ! I do not own a tortoise myself, however my inlaws have a desert tortoise from either arizona or nevada area. They are not exactly sure.
They have had it for about 30 years.
About a year ago they went abroad for a month so i did a little research to find out what would be safe foods for me to give to him. I was surprised to find out that lettuce should be avoided because that was what they have been feeding it all these years and also giving him an apple a day. From what i have read all fruit should be avoided. i informed them of this and gave them a list of foods that are ok to feed him but they refuse to change the way they are taking care of him. Also he has no water source other than when i go over and soak him in a shallow pool of water . what can i do to convince them they are not properly taking care of this poor creature?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

How to handle such a tragedy depends on a million factors. I wish you the best of luck, but it would be hard to give any worthwhile advice. Sometimes the best thing you can do in a situation like this is volunteer your own time, and just do as much as you can. If you just soak him once a week or so, he'll be okay on the water thing. Likewise if you go over and feed him the good stuff, they won't have the need to feed him the bad stuff, and he'll likely already be full anyway.

We've all seen this sort of thing and its never easy to deal with. I hope you can find a way to get through to them. Maybe after a few days of replies, you can email them THIS thread.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Narrisah:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Is "Narrisah" your screen name, or your real name also?

May we know where you are?

If the tortoise lives in the backyard and can graze on the weeds and grasses that grow there, then he's getting a pretty good diet, and you can figure that the lettuce they feed him is merely a treat. Also, he probably gets water when they water the grass and flowers. Quite a few desert tortoises don't use a water bowl, but prefer to drink "running" water. The tortoise has been living this way for 30 years. He's doing ok.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
:D Welcome to TFO! That is a tough spot to be in! Maybe the times you go over to visit, bring him something yummy that's good for him, and hopefully if they see him eating and enjoying it, maybe they will change their way of thinking. Just a thought!

Narrisah

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Narrisah:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Is "Narrisah" your screen name, or your real name also?

May we know where you are?

If the tortoise lives in the backyard and can graze on the weeds and grasses that grow there, then he's getting a pretty good diet, and you can figure that the lettuce they feed him is merely a treat. Also, he probably gets water when they water the grass and flowers. Quite a few desert tortoises don't use a water bowl, but prefer to drink "running" water. The tortoise has been living this way for 30 years. He's doing ok.

Yes my name is Narrisah (pronounced the same as Marissa but with an N.

I live in Anaheim California
I read that too much sugar in their diet (the apple a day) impairs organ function and causes an over-growth of parasites in the lower intestines.
And that they can appear perfectly healthy for years on a poor diet. I'm not so much concerned about the lettuce and water situation as i am about the apple a day. I think they are using the old "an apple a day keeps the doctor away". concept. I'm very concerned about what it is doing to the insides of the creature and just want him to be able to live a long and healthy life. like you said he's doing "ok" but is "ok" good enough ? i want him to be in the best health so he lives a long long time. Anyway thanks for your advice i do appreciate it very much.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the tort. Just do what you can to help him,that's all you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.