New to site and soon to be Tortoise caregiver!

BILL IV

Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster, California
Hello ALL!
My name is Bill and I will soon be taking in a 20 year old desert tortoise. Story is a friend of a friend of a friend who knows somebody has a tortoise that needs rehoming. Apparently when "Morty" woke up from his winter nap. He was none to pleased to see there was a new face amongst him. This new face being a English bulldog puppy. What was more surprising was the fact that they have had Morty since a friend of theirs found him crossing the road. He was maybe the size of a mini corn tortilla that was 20 years ago! He has only known the family and their two dogs. In fact they say he thinks he's part dog. That's why they were so surprised he acted so aggressive towards the new pup. To the point of constant chasing saying "I've never seen him run!". To eventually nipping at the dogs making them yelp. The Owner than placed him with a friend of hers that had three torts already. Well the next day he was humping away on the female! Then......he starts fighting and chasing the other males to the point of being so focused that he wasn't eating. The owner had to take him back and put him in a separate part of the yard away from the dogs. That's where I come in. I was going to adopt a tortoise anyway being that I just moved into a house that has a backyard! I said I would take care of the little guy and give him a home. YEAH! So I have been checking this site out and the various forums and it seems this is a good bunch of people with a wealth of knowledge! Thanks in advance for my new tortoise questions. I will search the forums the best I can to find the answers but I'm sure I will need some advice here and there. Thanks again!
-BILL

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Congratulations! Welcome! And Good luck. Can’t wait to see pictures of your new friend!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Greetings! & welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your visits here. Sounds like someone just entered puberty

BILL IV

Lancaster, California
Hello! Thanks for the warm welcomes!! I will definitely post pictures when I get him. Here are a few of him that the lady sent me. You can see him and his dog enemy and his weekend fling and him finally eating after returning to his old home! It sounds like they took good care of him. I'm now working on getting the backyard Tortoise proofed the best I can. I'll post pics in the enclosure sub for help identifying any potential hazards. Thanks again!

IMG_4069.JPG IMG_4070.JPG IMG_4071.JPG IMG_4072.JPG

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
He's a good looking dude. Congrats on your new buddy and welcome to the forum.

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Hello! Thanks for the warm welcomes!! I will definitely post pictures when I get him. Here are a few of him that the lady sent me. You can see him and his dog enemy and his weekend fling and him finally eating after returning to his old home! It sounds like they took good care of him. I'm now working on getting the backyard Tortoise proofed the best I can. I'll post pics in the enclosure sub for help identifying any potential hazards. Thanks again!
Welcome to the forum! He is a good looking guy! And the expression on that little french bulldog's face is priceless! LOL

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Dang, that pup's cute!!!

Hi Bill, and welcome to the Forum!

I love desert tortoises.