New to Russian Torts

rkelleh

Location (City and/or State)
Hanford, California
I have Leopards and today we rescued an estimated 3 year old Russian. I felt so bad for him and he was in a bit of rough shape, but in good spirits. The shell is hard but doesn't look as pretty as what I have seen from photos of Russians, so I know he needs some extra TLC. He is quite dry and I started him on soaks today (unsure on sex). Should I soak him everyday for a bit until he looks healthier? He is scaly looking right now. He actually looked better after 1 soak. I just got a pic of him sleeping and is all I have right now. I did read the care sheet which prompted some more questions. I have top soil for substrate and wanted to know if I am to keep it constantly moist for this new guy? Also, I read that they are diggers. What do you use to keep them from digging out of outdoor enclosures? Should I pull the soil out and put plywood underneath and on the sides with brick reinforced? Any thoughts welcomed as I am going to extend my current outdoor setup (keeping them all separate)...he will get the last bit of my garden set up like the pics attached. I gained a lot of knowledge here on my Leopards and now am seeking info on the Russian. Much appreciated.

Attachments

• 1021151810~2.jpg
    1021151810~2.jpg
    609 KB · Views: 56
  • 1010151218.jpg
    1010151218.jpg
    852.4 KB · Views: 55

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Daily soaks for a bit yes. They burrow not tunnel. I put pavers along the inside of my enclosure to keep them for digging under the wall.
IMG_20150519_103348.jpg They are also climbers, so I screwed plastic panels to the inside. I had no escaping this summer.
They don't need as much humidity as leopards, but moist substrate is good.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Daily soaks for a bit yes. They burrow not tunnel. I put pavers along the inside of my enclosure to keep them for digging under the wall. View attachment 153332 They are also climbers, so I screwed plastic panels to the inside. I had no escaping this summer. They don't need as much humidity as leopards, but moist substrate is good.
Very awesome enclosure, by the way! :D
I put hardware cloth under my enclosure outdoors, but with your set up I would go with Jodie's paver idea.
I use pavers as well in my outdoor Russian enclosure and they have been working very well so far! He seems to do more climbing than burrowing outside, but he is a trickster, that's for sure!

rkelleh

Hanford, California
Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I have identified him as a boy! Also, his name is Krusty as he looked that way when we got him. A couple of soaks and couple of days in the sun, he has perked up and doing well. He even ate directly from my hand and has a great personality. We have picked up pvc and whatnot to extend the cover. Now I am just sketching out his new set up so I can get started on his outdoor enclosure.

Attachments

• 1022151146a~2.jpg
    1022151146a~2.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 28

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I have identified him as a boy! Also, his name is Krusty as he looked that way when we got him. A couple of soaks and couple of days in the sun, he has perked up and doing well. He even ate directly from my hand and has a great personality. We have picked up pvc and whatnot to extend the cover. Now I am just sketching out his new set up so I can get started on his outdoor enclosure.
Great to hear! Keep us posted on the adorable little guy! :<3:

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Krusty is doing well. Lots of water changes though...lol. :rolleyes:
Very nice! :) Yes, my Russian ruins the clean water I replace the second it's in poured into his dish!! Crazy little dudes...! o_O

rkelleh

Hanford, California
My husband finished the cover expansion today. Now the fun part begins...construction of the inside of it. Krusty is a character and decided today it was one foot at a time in soaks. Of course he got his morning full soak, but apparently he wanted more on his feet. I would walk by him and he would have a different foot soaking. He is hilarious. Very different personality from my Leopards, that's for sure.

Attachments

• 1026151019.jpg
    1026151019.jpg
    606.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 1026151845b.jpg
    1026151845b.jpg
    552.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 1026151845.jpg
    1026151845.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 25

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
My husband finished the cover expansion today. Now the fun part begins...construction of the inside of it.
That's awesome! Looks great so far! Russians love a lot of room to roam and explore. He should be pretty happy with it! If you are looking for some good plants to add, I've had success with mallow (Malva), hollyhock (Alcea rosea), hibiscus, Aster, dandelions (of course!), bellflower (Campanula), Coreopsis, and pansies (Viola). All quite delicious to the Russian! :) I also support planting native species when possible, so do let me know if you need some research help. :tort: Can't wait to see more photos! Good luck!

rkelleh

Hanford, California
That's awesome! Looks great so far! Russians love a lot of room to roam and explore. He should be pretty happy with it! If you are looking for some good plants to add, I've had success with mallow (Malva), hollyhock (Alcea rosea), hibiscus, Aster, dandelions (of course!), bellflower (Campanula), Coreopsis, and pansies (Viola). All quite delicious to the Russian! :) I also support planting native species when possible, so do let me know if you need some research help. :tort:

Thank you. I do need to do some more research on Russian feed. I had just finished it a few weeks ago for the Leopards without anticipation of another one. :rolleyes: I was going to have my garden at the end but plans changed. Attached are pics of the current Leopard set up. I plan to plant grazing and all sorts of seeds come spring. I did order a Russian mix of seeds and will have them on hand for Krusty's side. I am thinking most of the same foods minus the grasses for him, but will reach out for expertise when I make more progress. Much appreciated on the offer for help in food suggestions.

Attachments

• 1010151401b.jpg
    1010151401b.jpg
    966.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 1010151400a.jpg
    1010151400a.jpg
    976.1 KB · Views: 22

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Thank you. I do need to do some more research on Russian feed. I had just finished it a few weeks ago for the Leopards without anticipation of another one. :rolleyes: I was going to have my garden at the end but plans changed. Attached are pics of the current Leopard set up. I plan to plant grazing and all sorts of seeds come spring. I did order a Russian mix of seeds and will have them on hand for Krusty's side. I am thinking most of the same foods minus the grasses for him, but will reach out for expertise when I make more progress. Much appreciated on the offer for help in food suggestions.
Awesome! Love the palm-like banana trees (I'm guessing they are?); super cute! Wish I could grow them here in Michigan! I also love the way you have the vine-y plants growing out of the cinder block walls! What an awesome idea! It really makes the cinder blocks look so much more attractive!!! :cool: Wish I'd thought of that! It really looks like a great habitat already. :)

Also I forgot to add Geranium to my plant list above! I wanted to include some plants for you where generally the entire genus is available as RT food. ;) It also makes for some great color in your yard!

rkelleh

Hanford, California
Awesome! Love the palm-like banana trees (I'm guessing they are?); super cute! Wish I could grow them here in Michigan! I also love the way you have the vine-y plants growing out of the cinder block walls! What an awesome idea! It really makes the cinder blocks look so much more attractive!!! :cool: Wish I'd thought of that! It really looks like a great habitat already. :)

Also I forgot to add Geranium to my plant list above! I wanted to include some plants for you where generally the entire genus is available as RT food. ;) It also makes for some great color in your yard!

Thank you much. I will add that to my list! I am in Central Valley California...near Fresno, so I am warmer than you are...that's for sure. The plants in the cinder blocks are ice plants. Yes, that is a banana tree, partial reason why the height on the cover...also so I can walk in there with no bending down. Much appreciated for all of your help.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Thank you much. I will add that to my list! I am in Central Valley California...near Fresno, so I am warmer than you are...that's for sure. The plants in the cinder blocks are ice plants. Yes, that is a banana tree, partial reason why the height on the cover...also so I can walk in there with no bending down. Much appreciated for all of your help.
Sweet! I did the same thing; the height of my enclosure is around 8'. I thought those were iceplants... ;)