New to Russian Tortoises!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetHumanOfFrancis

10 Year Member!
Hello! After having a box turtle, Lil Tex, for 22 years of my 24 years on Earth, I made the leap to tortoises about a month ago...and I'm glad I did! My new tortoise, Francis (named after the patron saint of animals) is a hoot.

I am sad to admit that I did buy him at a chain pet store with a name quite similar to Mart of Pets. There weren't any tortoise breeders or rescues in my area.

I have built him a tort table with appropriate lighting, which my family and friends found to be a miraculous feat as I am the type of girl who carries little dogs in designer purses. I am hoping to upgrade it with "the works" little by little.

My number one concern right now is Francis' shell's health. It seems irregular to me and I am kind of obsessed with it because I don't want him to be in any pain from pyramiding. I have posted pics of it in the general discussion board.

So far, we have bonded quite well! He even eats out of my hand and sometimes he won't even eat unless it is being served to him. Looks like he is becoming spoiled rotten!

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad242/PetHumanOfFrancis/FrancisEating.jpg[hr]
Here is the thread with detailed pics of his shell if you want to help a gal out :)

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-15843.html

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Welcome, sounds like you have a spoiled rotten one there, but that is ok, a lot of them are. If he/she is an adult pyramiding won't change the good news is russian that are WC which most pet stores handle don't show a lot if any pyramiding. and once again welcome.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Looks fine to me--just a typical wild caught tort's shell. A bit bumpy but not bad (my tort's is worse) and no he is not in pain. Do take him for a check up and fecal test for parasites at a tort vet. I recommend this for all torts regardless of background. Don't spoil him too much with the hand feeding as some torts like you said won't eat unless hand fed, and that is a bad place to get into. Spoil him with the enclosure, cage furnishings, and providing a varied organic diet, but keep the hand feeding to a minimum. Can we see some table photos?

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I handfed my russians when I first got them until the day I realized that that's why they were always trying to nip my fingers off.

It was cute 'till I got nibbled...

Status
Not open for further replies.