Hello! New to the forums. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reatrocity

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Virginia, United States
Hello, my name is Francis and I've lived in the state of West Virginia for 3 years. I live by the Charleston area. :) For the past month or so I have been contemplating getting a tortoise, as I think having one would add a lot of joy to my life as well as the life of the tortoise. I'm not taking this decision lightly, so I have been doing a lot of research on the subject.

My heart right now is set on getting a Hermann tortoise, and I am planning to build my new tortoise's habitat over time, with the hope of getting a Hermann tortoise by my birthday which is in November.

My biggest question is, where is a reputable place where I could get them locally or online that maintain a high standard of care and love for their tortoises? I am absolutely set on getting a captive bred tortoise, for obvious reasons, and I am worried that I will be lied to by a salesman.

Also, I was wondering if there was a certain time of year that I would be able to buy a tortoise over others. Are they usually available year-round, or only during certain seasons? Thank you very much for your time! Love seeing pictures of your little torts. :D

reatrocity

5 Year Member
West Virginia, United States
Thanks! I considered buying my tortoise from Tyler when the time came, but it looks like they are unavailable. :( Thank you a lot for the list of breeders though!

Hopefully by November or so they will be available, but I won't hold my breath. I wonder if maybe there is a better season to buy a tortoise. Would hate to wait that long, but it will definitely be worth it in the end, if I can stay away from buying from a bad source.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. From what I've seen and heard, if I ever had an opportunity to buy a tortoise, it would be here at this forum. I trust some of the breeders here and I totally distrust places like PETsMART or pet stores in general. Sometimes you'll hear of local breeders, but if you don't know them, or don't know how long they've been breeding successfully, I wouldn't buy one from them either.

Status
Not open for further replies.