New to Forum

S

Selima Barlow

Hello all!
I have 2- 1 yr. old Leopard tortoises, Bonnie & Clyde :). I've gotten a large amount of tortoise care info. from TortoiseForum in the past but just signed up to be a member the other day. I actually have a couple questions... First, I have planted some kale, cabbage, and such in a planter in the backyard but it has been taken over by little caterpillars that are eating everything! Is there anything I can use on the garden to get rid of the caterpillars but still be okay to feed my torts? Second, I want to spray something on my entire yard to get rid of mosquitoes as they are biting the heck out of my 3-yr-old daughter. Is there a product that is safe to spray but will still allow the torts to walk around the yard and graze? That's all for now. Please let me know what you all think, thanks!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
hello and welcome to the forum from Oregon while i can't answer our questions i can say we all love pictures of torts here ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Selima, and welcome to the Forum!

Instead of spraying the yard, spray your daughter. The bug repellant sprays you buy now-a-days are safe. The way to get rid of mosquitoes is to make sure there is no standing water on your property. The eco-safe method of getting rid of caterpillars in your garden is to pick them off.

http://www.homelife.com.au/gardening/features/how+to+control+garden+pests,5430

747117wei24kafiu.gif

S

Selima Barlow

Hi Selima, and welcome to the Forum!

Instead of spraying the yard, spray your daughter. The bug repellant sprays you buy now-a-days are safe. The way to get rid of mosquitoes is to make sure there is no standing water on your property. The eco-safe method of getting rid of caterpillars in your garden is to pick them off.

http://www.homelife.com.au/gardening/features/how to control garden pests,5430

747117wei24kafiu.gif
I tried spraying my daughter with several sprays but she still ended up with bites :/. The mosquitos are just coming with the recent rain I think. We do have a pool but the water circulates nonstop so it's not necessarily standing water. Now about the caterpillars... there are ALOT. I don't know if it's possible to pick ALL of them off, and even so to keep them from coming back. A guy at HomeDepot told me that EcoSMART Organic Garden Insect Killer should be safe as it is just a mix of organic plant oils, but what the heck does he know? Haha! What do you think about this product? Has anybody on here ever used it?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Cannt help this year but next year plant some garlic and marigolds with your veggys most insects don't like garlic or marigolds and torts eat marigolds . And put some hummingbird feeders out I understand hummingbirds feed mosquitoes to there baby's ! Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. You got some good advise already. Looking forward to your picture.

Tort-Rex

Welcome to the forum! Everyone's a great help on here, as you can probably already tell.