New to forum-found tortoise

Suncobb

Location (City and/or State)
Orlando, FL
Hi all,

This tortoise has been around my yard and my neighbor’s for months. I do not know if it is wild or someone’s pet that escaped. The poor thing is in rough condition. I am unsure what type it is. Can anyone help identify it? The only tortoise I know of is the endangered gopher tortoise here in central Florida.
TIA

Attachments

• IMG_1392.jpeg
    IMG_1392.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1391.jpeg
    IMG_1391.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1390.jpeg
    IMG_1390.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Hi all,

This tortoise has been around my yard and my neighbor’s for months. I do not know if it is wild or someone’s pet that escaped. The poor thing is in rough condition. I am unsure what type it is. Can anyone help identify it? The only tortoise I know of is the endangered gopher tortoise here in central Florida.
TIA
I'm pretty sure it's a Russian Tortoise... this is a great place to learn about taking care of it.

Jamie

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is indeed a Russian and not native to FL or the USA. Please put flyers up and call local rescues, vets offices and pet stores to see if anyone has reported a lost tortoise. Don't tell them what kind it is, let the person who says it's theirs ID it.
In the mean time, give him a nice warm soak and read the care sheet under the Mediterranean section for Russians.

Suncobb

Orlando, FL
I'm pretty sure it's a Russian Tortoise... this is a great place to learn about taking care of it.

Jamie
That is indeed a Russian and not native to FL or the USA. Please put flyers up and call local rescues, vets offices and pet stores to see if anyone has reported a lost tortoise. Don't tell them what kind it is, let the person who says it's theirs ID it.
In the mean time, give him a nice warm soak and read the care sheet under the Mediterranean section for Russians.
It is not where I left it in my front flower bed. How do I find it? Do they bury themselves?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is not where I left it in my front flower bed. How do I find it? Do they bury themselves?
Yes, they sometimes bury themselves. They are also very good climbers.

As a forging species, it should not be running around loose. Please hold on to it next time you see it. Either contain and keep it yourself, or give it to someone who wants it.

Here is the care info:

zovick

10 Year Member!
They do sometimes bury themselves. Maybe you will find it in the morning. Usually they come out fairly early and soak up some sun to get warm before beginning their day's feeding routine.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Please take it out of the situation it is in, it’s basically the same as a stray dog. It might be surviving but it’s not meant to be living free in yards that way. In addition to flyers and NextDoor, consider taking it to your local shelter or see if there is a rescue group. Don’t post photos, make someone show you their photo to confirm it’s the same one

Suncobb

Orlando, FL
Thank you all. I left a dish of fresh water out and a dish of spring mix lettuce where I saw it eating my zinnias earlier took the pictures. Hopefully I see it again soon and get it back home or to a rescue.

Suncobb

Orlando, FL
IMG_1398.jpeg
I found it again!!! 😊 I started it soaking inside. I brushed some of the dirt off with a soft toothbrush. It is relaxing although shy hopefully not to scared. My house is louder at times with 3 teen kids, 2 dogs and 3 cats.

I will finish reading the care sheet. But have been googling how to sex it. My guess is female. Am I correct?

How to I get any possible owner to identify this tortoise? Are there items that any person should be able to tell me?

Attachments

• IMG_1397.jpeg
    IMG_1397.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Looks in fairly rough shape but not too bad. Probably been chewed on by a dog or two! Thanks for taking him and trying to help him (or her?)

zovick

10 Year Member!
View attachment 358160
I found it again!!! 😊 I started it soaking inside. I brushed some of the dirt off with a soft toothbrush. It is relaxing although shy hopefully not to scared. My house is louder at times with 3 teen kids, 2 dogs and 3 cats.

I will finish reading the care sheet. But have been googling how to sex it. My guess is female. Am I correct?

How to I get any possible owner to identify this tortoise? Are there items that any person should be able to tell me?
We can sex the tortoise better if you post a photo of the bottom shell (and also make sure the tail is showing in the picture).

Glad you found it again!

Suncobb

Orlando, FL
We can sex the tortoise better if you post a photo of the bottom shell (and also make sure the tail is showing in the picture).

Glad you found it again!
It tucks it's tail when you pick it up.

Attachments

• IMG_1408.jpeg
    IMG_1408.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1407.jpeg
    IMG_1407.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3

zovick

10 Year Member!
It tucks it's tail when you pick it up.
The second picture shows what we need to see pretty well. You have a female Russian Tortoise. As Tammy said, her shell appears to have been chewed or damaged somehow at some point in the past. Luckily she survived that episode.

Are you planning to keep her yourself now or ???

Suncobb

Orlando, FL
The second picture shows what we need to see pretty well. You have a female Russian Tortoise. As Tammy said, her shell appears to have been chewed or damaged somehow at some point in the past. Luckily she survived that episode.

Are you planning to keep her yourself now or ???
I hope to find the owner or a rescue. I currently have it in my dog’s 42”x 24” wire crate with a container with orchid mix in it for her to hide. I have some orchid mulch along the plastic tray also. A terracotta saucer for water and another plant saucer with lettuce, zinnia flowers and apple. I have never cared for a tortoise before, only cats and dogs.

Suncobb

Orlando, FL
I still have not found her owner. I have been caring for her for the last week but will need to find a foster. Is the best thing to do is to contact the FWC Exotic pet program so they can find a qualified person to care for her?

I have a found report placed with Seminole county, FL animal shelter but the woman taking my report had never heard of a Russian tortoise. I have posts in numerous FB groups both local area, lost and found pets and Tortoise groups. I don’t want to give her to just anyone. Local wildlife rescues only mention native animals.

Also, do I need to be concerned about the white spots on her shell both the top and bottom until I get her properly placed with a better equipped foster?

Thanks! I am learning as I go but for have small animal vet tech experience from 20 yrs ago.

IMG_1624.jpegIMG_1623.jpegIMG_1622.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's very, very old damage. I can see where the white part on the bottom shell has started to flake off, showing new shell underneath. The same thing will eventually happen on the top shell. . . those white spots will flake off showing new shell underneath. Nothing to worry about.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I think with some good soakings and a bit of time, she will look a lot better, and she seems to have lovely bright eyes - if you were able to keep her, you might find her a great addition to your family. They are very interesting animals, and I'm sure she would appreciate a safe home.
Angie