New temps

Korall

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
Sooooo... I'm going on a vacation tomorrow for about 6 days (To USA) but my basking spot lamp broke, so I got a new one.
The new one is a more powerful in both the amount of visible light and heat it outputs, so before going I just wanted to check if the temps are okay (I have a bells hingeback)

During the day it's about 80F in his hiding spot, 95 on his basking spot and everywhere in between it ranges from those temperatures.

During the night it's about 76-79 around his sleeping area.

The extra light and heat also seems to have driven him out of his sleepiness :) (I talked about it in an earlier post)

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Sooooo... I'm going on a vacation tomorrow for about 6 days (To USA) but my basking spot lamp broke, so I got a new one.
The new one is a more powerful in both the amount of visible light and heat it outputs, so before going I just wanted to check if the temps are okay (I have a bells hingeback)

During the day it's about 80F in his hiding spot, 95 on his basking spot and everywhere in between it ranges from those temperatures.

During the night it's about 76-79 around his sleeping area.

The extra light and heat also seems to have driven him out of his sleepiness :) (I talked about it in an earlier post)

Since no reply let me hazard a guess that he may be attempting to hunt out a cooler spot than any available. Believe that 90 degrees is too hot for any area. Better a little too cool than too hot for few days especially if you won't be there to monitor things. If he should get up side down in too much heat it will more rapidly become fatal than in a cooler area where the extra time might allow him to right himself.

Korall

Sweden
Since no reply let me hazard a guess that he may be attempting to hunt out a cooler spot than any available. Believe that 90 degrees is too hot for any area. Better a little too cool than too hot for few days especially if you won't be there to monitor things. If he should get up side down in too much heat it will more rapidly become fatal than in a cooler area where the extra time might allow him to right himself.

Shouldn't the basking area be quite warm? (Btw I'm home now), but I guess I'l see if I can get it fixed although it might just have to wait until my new enclosure is done.

Also, there are cooler areas than where he usually stays all day.

Last edited:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Although I do not keep hingeback tortoises, a basking area of 90°-95° sounds perfect to me for them. You also seem to have a good gradient and good nighttime temps. Sounds perfect to me.

Korall

Sweden
Although I do not keep hingeback tortoises, a basking area of 90°-95° sounds perfect to me for them. You also seem to have a good gradient and good nighttime temps. Sounds perfect to me.

Yeah, i dont think its too hot since ive seen him stay on the basking spot for 20+ min at some times