Temps okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
just got my PE1 thermo gun today. Checked Sid's temps throughout his enclosure and received the following temps; under infared light near water dish 102, mid tank near feeding area, 80, and in hide 79.

Per caresheet states the hide should be in the upper 80's with an ambient heat in the enclosure of 80 and a warm spot of upper 90. I have a heat emmitter over his hide area yet it seems cooler in there than anywhere else in the enclosure. Not sure what to do. If I get a bigger emmitter I am afraid the rest of the tank will be too hot. He seems okay in there since he spends almost ALL of his time there. I take him out each morning when I feed him and place him near his water dish. He usually goes under the red light for a couple minutes and then moves back to toward the hide - his food dish on the way but the last 2 days he hasn't eaten much, walks past and goes to his hide.

Thoughts?

LindaF

5 Year Member
I too have been obsessed with temps. I plan on using my Christmas money for a temp gun :) I am sure my little guy will enjoy not having probes resting on his back or stuck in his hide. I worry he isn't smart enough to come out and warm up. You didn't mention what wattage your infrared heater was. If you are using a CHE and an infrared heater you can move them or swap the positions. Perhaps increase the wattage on one or both. Pictures would always help. I recently got some good advice on redfoots.com from Terry and Wiggles. My table was just too bright. I replaced my basking spot with an infrared bulb and my guy comes out on his own now to eat. He also now spends a good portion of time peeping out of his hide and not just buried under the mulch and moss.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
He does come out on his own, and I do see him peeking out but seems to prefer the hide.

My emitter is 60 watts, and infered is 60 also. Here is a picture of my enclosure - 55 gal tank (only temporary - 4 x 8 enclosure in the planning stages)

tortoise 070.JPGtortoise 071.JPGtortoise 072.JPG

Attachments

• outabout.jpg
    outabout.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:

LindaF

5 Year Member
I have a table and it is only partially covered so my set up is much different. I have to use a 100 w CHE and 100 W infrared to keep my temps up on a 45in x 30in table made from a bookcase. Perhaps you can bump up the infrared to a higher wattage? I know I spent a fortune on bulbs until I got it right. Hopefully someone will reply that is using the same size tank and can comfirm what they use.
You do have a cute red foot!

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Thanks! I am afraid that if I up the infared which is now supplying 102deg temp the whole tank may be too hot. I am thinking a bigger emmitter, but but again the ambient (mid enclosure) are at the stated 80 so the larger emmitter I would think would then increase those temps. If you think he is okay with the high 70 -80 degree hide as long as he is able to get out where it is warmer for now I will leave it as is. I should have a new enclosure with in a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.