New Sulcata Tortoise, Unfortanute accident

Toshina

Did you get a 2nd opinion yet? Make sure the vet you took him to is a reptile vet. Not all vets are trained to take care of all animals. If your vet is a well established herp vet, call his office and asked when would be a good time to have it's eye taken out. 1) You should have your tort rechecked immediately after his meds are finished. Some antibiotics need to go longer or the antibiotic needs to be switched to another antibiotic. If any of the bacteria is left and antibiotics are not continued (and this goes for all pets) the bacteria can grow a resistance keeping that antibiotic from working in the future and keeping other antibiotics from working as well. 2) If your vet can't give you a clear answer on when he can do the surgery, ask if there is a nearby exotics vet he can recommend to do the surgery.

Arielle

Hi there- Im so sorry about your little guy. What an awful feeling. If it helps- I also have a small guy and I have a big wooden enclosure for when I bring him outside for fresh air . I dont live near wild animals so theres no top on the enclosure. Well two days ago there was a curious neighborhood cat that somehow made his way into my yard! He was looking intently at my sully. Honestly I actually thought "what could a cat possibly do" but still chased him off and took my sully back inside. So for what its worth - your misfortune really has helped me and Im going to now put a cover over my guys outdoor house. Im so sorry it has happened to you but you may have helped others with your story. (Im a dog owner so I really didn't think cats were a danger at all!!)
Hi there- Im so sorry about your little guy. What an awful feeling. If it helps- I also have a small guy and I have a big wooden enclosure for when I bring him outside for fresh air . I dont live near wild animals so theres no top on the enclosure. Well two days ago there was a curious neighborhood cat that somehow made his way into my yard! He was looking intently at my sully. Honestly I actually thought "what could a cat possibly do" but still chased him off and took my sully back inside. So for what its worth - your misfortune really has helped me and Im going to now put a cover over my guys outdoor house. Im so sorry it has happened to you but you may have helped others with your story. (Im a dog owner so I really didn't think cats were a danger at all!!)
My dogs love my little sully and don't bother him at all, those dang cats though, you just can't trust them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    993.3 KB · Views: 19

Arielle

I still can't get the little guy to eat on his own and he has been stubborn about force feeding, I give him daily soaks with baby food carrots so he's getting some nutrients, any suggestions on what I could possibly try to get his appetite back ? He ate great before his cat encounter..thanks in advance :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
So glad he's on the road to recovery!!! :p
I don't have any experience with a tort not eating after trauma, so I have no ideas to offer. Sorry.
You could try sending a PM to some of the sulcata people like Tom or DeanS, maybe?

Arielle

So glad he's on the road to recovery!!! :p
I don't have any experience with a tort not eating after trauma, so I have no ideas to offer. Sorry.
You could try sending a PM to some of the sulcata people like Tom or DeanS, maybe?
Thanks for the advice :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hope he's well on the way to recovery and start's eating soon.
He' such a sweet little guy.