New Sulcata questions.

Phil473

Location (City and/or State)
Leeds, Yorkshire
Hello.
I picked up our new baby sulcata yesterday. He’s settling in, healthy bright eyes, very active. Good basking temp and moss and spray to maintain areas of humidity. Seems very healthy and active young tortoise. I have bathed him In warm water which prompted him to go to the bathroom and I’ve seen him drink water.

however, he hasn’t shown slightest interest in food now for the first 24 hours. Could this just be due to the stresses of a move to a new home?
How long before he feeds until I should begin to worry? Thanks

Attachments

• EA97742E-5AA7-4C6D-BF22-CF4F76F5D67F.jpeg
    EA97742E-5AA7-4C6D-BF22-CF4F76F5D67F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello.
I picked up our new baby sulcata yesterday. He’s settling in, healthy bright eyes, very active. Good basking temp and moss and spray to maintain areas of humidity. Seems very healthy and active young tortoise. I have bathed him In warm water which prompted him to go to the bathroom and I’ve seen him drink water.

however, he hasn’t shown slightest interest in food now for the first 24 hours. Could this just be due to the stresses of a move to a new home?
How long before he feeds until I should begin to worry? Thanks
You shouldn't use moss because they will eat it. You shouldn't need to spray to ad humidity. Spraying the surface is not a good way to do this, and if your enclosure has an open top, the spray will just evaporate and cool everything in the process. You need a closed chamber to hold in humidity.

Most of the care info for this species is all wrong. The condition of this tortoises skin and carapace indicate that its had a very poor start, no doubt following this old wrong info. Read the link that Mark posted for the correct care info. Your questions are welcome.

Phil473

Leeds, Yorkshire
Thank you. All advice taken on board, I’ve created a much better humid hide and he moves between there, his basking spot and a dryer hide.
Settled now and has begun eating. I have also seen him gnawing on his cuttlefish bone. Thanks again