New sulcata owner....

Fredkas

5 Year Member
HA! Were you feeling overwhelmed and discouraged??? Would you like a belated internet man-hug? :p
I am feeling better now :Do_O

You definitely seem to be softening your tone lately. Now you are even offering Internet man hugs...
Hah! It's not me alone feels that.

Hi Tom! I read that you use mercury vapor bulbs. I bought 1 100 watt bulb. Will that be strong enough?
I am not tom but i read a lot. Maybe i can help a little.
This only apply to fully closed enclosure: Usually if the temp outside the enclosure is 75F at the lowest, a regular 40watt bulb is right at the temp you want in a at least 4ft x 4ft with 2ft height enclosure. The bulb is 1ft from the basking rock.
My enclosure is 3ft by 7ft the height is 2ft, i use 40w happily.
If you are going to use mvb, they come with high watt of course, then you should consider your enclosure have flexible height to play with.

Crowley1103

I am feeling better now :Do_O

Hah! It's not me alone feels that.

I am not tom but i read a lot. Maybe i can help a little.
This only apply to fully closed enclosure: Usually if the temp outside the enclosure is 75F at the lowest, a regular 40watt bulb is right at the temp you want in a at least 4ft x 4ft with 2ft height enclosure. The bulb is 1ft from the basking rock.
My enclosure is 3ft by 7ft the height is 2ft, i use 40w happily.
If you are going to use mvb, they come with high watt of course, then you should consider your enclosure have flexible height to play with.
Thank you! I can use all the help I can get right now

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi @Crowley1103 and a very warm welcome to the forum!

Torts do not like change. Therefore, they need time to adapt to a new place, enclosure, owner, climate and so on. ;) Moreover, in Winter torts tend to lose appetite. I've noticed hat on Oli (my beloved Greek tort): in Summer he eats well, and very well. Now that it's getting chilly and at times cold, he's beginning to lose appetite.

Soaks in warm water seem to do something positive to a tort's appetite. :)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Hi @Crowley1103 and a very warm welcome to the forum!

Torts do not like change. Therefore, they need time to adapt to a new place, enclosure, owner, climate and so on. ;) Moreover, in Winter torts tend to lose appetite. I've noticed hat on Oli (my beloved Greek tort): in Summer he eats well, and very well. Now that it's getting chilly and at times cold, he's beginning to lose appetite.

Soaks in warm water seem to do something positive to a tort's appetite. :)
Do Sulcata's slow down eating in the winter if kept indoors?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
One alternative to buying lights til you get it right is a rheostat , or a simple dimmer switch ! This will give you the ability to adjust it up or down until you get the temp. you want ! ;) You will need to settle for advice , I am fresh out of "man hugs" !

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I think if we have "Man Hugs" there should be some rules !!
m0126.gif

man.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do Sulcata's slow down eating in the winter if kept indoors?

Not usually. If they are indoors and kept warm and well lit, they just soldier on.

Outdoor torts slow down on the appetite and activity as the days get shorter and temps drop. Since I keep my adults in warm boxes overnight, they tend to stay pretty active over winter, but they definitely eat less.