New sulcata owner. Need some answers!

sabnic

5 Year Member
Hello everyone ! I am a new momma to a 5 year old sulcata. I got him from my cousin who had him since a hatchling. She kept him in a 50 gallon tank and when I took him, I took the tank as well. However, he doesn't spend much time in there now. He really is only in it during the night. If he isn't in the tank he is out walking throughout the house. Or outside if it's not too chilly, which lately it has been. I live in Pennsylvania. Brrrrrr ! He also came down with pneumonia when he was about 2, and the vet told her that it would affect the way his shell grew. However, I'm afraid that he might have pyramiding because of always being in the tank when she had him. I'm also trying to figure out ways for an outside home once he is too big for inside. Or too heavy to be lugging inside and outside ! I am new to all of this so please try not to be rude. I'm hoping to better the way his lifestyle. Perry is an over all happy tort! He cruises all around and loves to eat ! Any input is great. And I have posted pictures to be able to see his shell. Thank you all!

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

Thank goodness you've taken on the care of this tortoise. He hasn't had the right kind of care in his young life and it now sounds like he has a better chance at staying alive.

"Pnuemonia affects the way the shell grows." Bull 'cripes' and horse pucky!!! I've been taking care of turtles and tortoises for over 35 years. I've had my share of tortoises with respiratory infections. This is the first time I have EVER heard that notion. Lung infections have absolutely NO effect on the way a shell grows. Your tortoise's shell looks like it does because of the poor care he received when he was living with your cousin. She didn't do it on purpose, she was just lazy and didn't do any research to find out the correct way to care for this creature.

I know the weather isn't the best right now, but please keep in mind that what your tortoise needs is real sunshine (a UVB light will do in a pinch - get one right away!!!), lots of exercise and the right kind of food.

We're so glad that you've taken over the care of this tortoise and that you have joined our family here on the Forum. Many of our members have stories and tortoises similar to yours. You are going to fit right in.

sabnic

5 Year Member
@yvonne g, thanks ! I do have a UVB light. And a basking heat light. He eats romaine lettuce and the weeds and clovers I pick from out side when he's not able to be out there bc of the chilly weather. The other day I mashed up the ends of my strawberries and gave them to him and he went to town. I just hope he is able to grow big and healthy now!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What sort of UV bulb are you using? The coil types can damage their eyes. Long tubes or mercury vapor bulbs are best.

Keep in mind that fruit is not good for them, even though they like it. A little bit once in a while is okay, but not "good", or necessary.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since your new guy has to live in the house until the weather improves, here's a list of foods from the produce market you can choose from. Buy one or two from the list each time you shop for him, and mix it up until you've used all of them, then start over:

escarole, endive, turnip greens, Spring Mix, raddiccio, zucchini, any of the specialty lettuces, dandelion greens

And here's a list of things you might find outside to feed him:

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-52677.html

sabnic

5 Year Member
@tom I use the tube one. I did that research. Before I went out and had to buy a new fixture since I shattered mine. I don't feed him the fruit regularly bc I read that It wasn't the best, I was just curious to see how he would do with fruit. And he liked it! Bit I know not to keep giving it to him daily

@yvonne g, thanks for the list ! Very helpful!