New Sulcata Mom//Food? Vitamin C?

paigefaneller

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi Paige, and welcome to the Forum!

I had to chuckle when reading your post. You said you KNOW what a sulcata's diet should be, but you listed all kinds of foods that are NOT on their diet. Here's a list for you to choose from:

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food
All I've said is I've done my research, & during my research everyone has said different things, my torts are extremely picky on what I give them, but I was never exactly sure if it was good for them

paigefaneller

Arizona
Hey Paige, I had a problem early on getting my Sulcata hatchling to eat Mazuri. There are 3 different size pellets and the first 2 I bought were a no go but the 3rd time was the charm.. which kind(s) have you tried thus far? I ended up having to order the original size pellets from Amazon. Petco here only sold the 2 smaller size pellets and they just didn't do the trick. I now soak the big pellets in water for a while, soften them up and Spur gets after! Hope this helps!
I've done ZooMed (I know it's similar to Mazuri) but they don't even go NEAR it when I soak it for them, I've tried to put kale in it too to see if they would try to eat it then... nope

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
I've done ZooMed (I know it's similar to Mazuri) but they don't even go NEAR it when I soak it for them, I've tried to put kale in it too to see if they would try to eat it then... nope

Yeah, I hear, I would try the original pellets, stay away from the "small tortoise" or the "LS"

Do you know what they were eating before you got them? That may be something to check out and start with that. Once they're used to their new home and warm, they'll eat! Theyll come around, just keep it up!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
All I've said is I've done my research, & during my research everyone has said different things, my torts are extremely picky on what I give them, but I was never exactly sure if it was good for them
Hi @Paigefeneller

The torts are not exceptional in being picky. It is very common indeed.

They know what they like and they like what they know.

You have to think of yourself as the parent of a child that only wants to eat chips and chocolate. Both are fine in small quantities occasionally, but not for every meal.

You have to get tough, either they eat what you say or they go hungry. A hungry tort will eat and will come to no harm if it goes on hunger strike for several days as long as it is soaked for at least 30 minutes every day while it's refusing food.

These two torts do need to live entirely separately as one will bully the other into decline. They are not social and it will only get worse as they grow rapidly to their full 100lb+ size. These torts are the bulldozers of the tort world. They have bags of personality but do as they darn well please.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ZooMed and Mazuri are totally different. Few tortoises "like" the ZooMed Grassland food, even though it is good for them. Most tortoises LOVE the Mazuri and take to it like candy.

It takes time to get them used to the ZooMed stuff, but its worth the effort, because mixing that in will improve the quality of the foods you are feeding them. Start with just a tiny little broken pice of one pellet. Soak it in a little water until it turns to mush. Then chop up your greens for the day, spray them with water and mix in your ZooMed mush. Over time you can add more and more of the ZooMed stuff as they get used to it. THis precess can take up to a month or more in some cases. Be patient. It is worth the effort to get them eating the right stuff.

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX

I had to chuckle when reading your post. You said you KNOW what a sulcata's diet should be, but you listed all kinds of foods that are NOT on their diet. Here's a list for you to choose from:

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...

Weeds:
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
if I let baby sulcata eat/graze outside for a couple of hours does he still need to be fed his regular diet

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Tom's comment made me remember that I forgot to mention that I do use the zoomed grassland pellets too but I run a couple of pellets through a coffee grinder and sprinkle the shreds over fresh food to get Spur used to the hay and I also throw some soaked original Mazuri pellets on top for a treat. It's worked out well I think.

Mattt0192

5 Year Member
Summerville, SC

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle

Weeds:
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
I'm glad to hear sow thistle is good for them, I have wayyyyy too much of it out back