New sulcata enclosure

Tofu

Location (City and/or State)
Surabaya
So I've decided to make a new enclosure for Tofu (its length is 5 CM) and i need you guys to help me by giving adjustments or corrections if theres something missing or not good enough any suggestions or critic are appreciated.

The enclosure is going to be 100CM in length and 60CM in width with 20CM of wall height.

There will be 2 basking lamps (yes, two of them since i need more temp while i cant place the bulb closer than 20cm without drying Tofu's shell up)
An artificial burrow and an artificial cave on the ground level for him to choose from.

A water dish and mounds of cocopeat for it to explore and a ball for it to play with and a brick for its basking spot.

The substrate is going to be cocopeat

And the enclosure will have a lid to maintain humidity and warmth

A thermometer and a hygrometer to monitor temp and humidity

Thats all.. and if you guys have ideas just post your replies here and il try my best to make the enclosure better for Tofu

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'd love to see pictures. And I especially enjoy the pictures while you're building it.

Tofu

Surabaya
Well i havent built it but ive bought all of the wood and materials to make the enclosure and will start building the enclosure once the materials arrive in like.. 2 days.
Il send pictures for sure

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I've decided to make a new enclosure for Tofu (its length is 5 CM) and i need you guys to help me by giving adjustments or corrections if theres something missing or not good enough any suggestions or critic are appreciated.

The enclosure is going to be 100CM in length and 60CM in width with 20CM of wall height.

There will be 2 basking lamps (yes, two of them since i need more temp while i cant place the bulb closer than 20cm without drying Tofu's shell up)
An artificial burrow and an artificial cave on the ground level for him to choose from.

A water dish and mounds of cocopeat for it to explore and a ball for it to play with and a brick for its basking spot.

The substrate is going to be cocopeat

And the enclosure will have a lid to maintain humidity and warmth

A thermometer and a hygrometer to monitor temp and humidity

Thats all.. and if you guys have ideas just post your replies here and il try my best to make the enclosure better for Tofu
That is too small, and the walls need to be much taller if there is going to be a lid on it and you want the lights inside.

You should only need one basking area and the bulb should be somewhere around 30 CM away. Your thermometer will tell you how close to hang the bulb.

What are you planing on using for ambient temperature maintenance and night heat?

Coco peat is safe to use, but its very messy. Fine grade orchid bark will work much better.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I’ve just finished setting up my torts update lighting he seems to be enjoying it
Please note that your enclosure is much too small, and your tortoise should have one measuring 8x4 feet (244x122 cm) or larger. Your water bowl is also too deep and difficult to use, and it should be switched out for a terra cotta saucer.

Tofu

Surabaya
Uuuhm and i forgot to mention that Tofu my sulcata is still about 2 inches ;-; and when its bigger il make it a new enclosure thats a lot bigger since... Yes this covid19 unreliable condition makes it hard to look for materials im lucky that ive got all of the wood online lol

Tofu

Surabaya
Oh and about the lid and humidity... Can i not just use lids at all ?

And if i dont use any lid can i use something else to maintain humidity inside the enclosure without increasing the humidity in the whole room ?

Tofu

Surabaya
That is too small, and the walls need to be much taller if there is going to be a lid on it and you want the lights inside.

You should only need one basking area and the bulb should be somewhere around 30 CM away. Your thermometer will tell you how close to hang the bulb.

What are you planing on using for ambient temperature maintenance and night heat?

Coco peat is safe to use, but its very messy. Fine grade orchid bark will work much better.

Im planning to use heating pads.. is that a good idea ?
Or should i just switch to those dark heating bulbs?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Im planning to use heating pads.. is that a good idea ?
Or should i just switch to those dark heating bulbs?
Heating pads should not be used with tortoises. Its not safe. Overheating and burns are too common.

• Incandescent flood bulbs for basking. Run this on a timer.
  • Ceramic heat emitters, or radiant heat panels for ambient heat. Run either of these on a thermostat.
  • HO Tubes for UV, if needed. On a separate timer to be on fewer hours a day than the basking bulb.
  • LED bulb of any kind if more light is needed or desired. Also on a timer.

Tofu

Surabaya
Heating pads should not be used with tortoises. Its not safe. Overheating and burns are too common.

• Incandescent flood bulbs for basking. Run this on a timer.
  • Ceramic heat emitters, or radiant heat panels for ambient heat. Run either of these on a thermostat.
  • HO Tubes for UV, if needed. On a separate timer to be on fewer hours a day than the basking bulb.
  • LED bulb of any kind if more light is needed or desired. Also on a timer.

I'l use the ceramic bulb.. and how do you "link" the bulb to the thermostat ?

Tofu

Surabaya
Oh and the basking bulb (the regular one) should i use the 40 watt or the 60 watt one ? Ambient temp is around 29-30

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The thermostat will plug into the wall outlet. Then you plug the cord for the CHE into the thermostat. Set the dial for the temperature you want, and then let it run for an hour or two. Then check the thermometer and make adjustments as needed.

In a small closed chamber, 40 watts will probably be enough, but only your thermometer can answer this question.

Sault Ste. Marie Ontario
Please note that your enclosure is much too small, and your tortoise should have one measuring 8x4 feet (244x122 cm) or larger. Your water bowl is also too deep and difficult to use, and it should be switched out for a terra cotta saucer.
Yes I know his home is way to small it used to be that big, but I moved cross country for college and need something that fit in my small car I'm planning on making him a new home as soon as I can ??