New Substrate

Lauren13705

I bought Reptibark today, and just put it in my torts enclosure and he is just burrowing, what does this mean? Is reptibark a good substrate? I have heard it is good then i heard it is horrible. I need someone with the most reliable information.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Repti-Bark is a brand name for orchid bark, aka: fir bark.

This is my substrate of choice for older testudo, like russians, and also for baby sulcatas, leopards and stars.

It is good stuff and burrowing behavior is good. Make sure he's got a good 4-6" layer of it and you can buy it in bulk at most garden centers much cheaper than the little bags at the pet store.

Lauren13705

Repti-Bark is a brand name for orchid bark, aka: fir bark.

This is my substrate of choice for older testudo, like russians, and also for baby sulcatas, leopards and stars.

It is good stuff and burrowing behavior is good. Make sure he's got a good 4-6" layer of it and you can buy it in bulk at most garden centers much cheaper than the little bags at the pet store.

I'm just nervous because I'm reading and a lot of people are saying that they have found some little bugs in the substrate, and that is the last thing i want. But the majority of people who have had this issue is people that own snakes, I haven't seen anyone with a tortoise and this problem.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm just nervous because I'm reading and a lot of people are saying that they have found some little bugs in the substrate, and that is the last thing i want. But the majority of people who have had this issue is people that own snakes, I haven't seen anyone with a tortoise and this problem.

Be careful what your read on the internet.

The bugs do not necessarily come from the substrate. There are several species of substrate flies that are present in the environment world wide. As soon as you move a potted plant into your house, or a nice warm tortoise enclosure, they will colonize it and start reproducing at a high rate of speed. The only way to stop them is to boil, bake or replace your substrate every two weeks. On the bright side, they are all harmless detrivores and they will not harm your tortoise.

Lauren13705

Be careful what your read on the internet.

The bugs do not necessarily come from the substrate. There are several species of substrate flies that are present in the environment world wide. As soon as you move a potted plant into your house, or a nice warm tortoise enclosure, they will colonize it and start reproducing at a high rate of speed. The only way to stop them is to boil, bake or replace your substrate every two weeks. On the bright side, they are all harmless detrivores and they will not harm your tortoise.

So I shouldn't have a problem with this substrate, and it is good for my tort?