New small pond

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
Hello everyone!

I recently upgraded squirtle's terrarium from a small (1x4') standing water pond to a circulating water pond (albeit a little smaller). The pond is made of a plastic christmas tree storage box with a little aquarium pump at the bottom and river rock to control the depth and make ramps.new pond.JPG

Don't worry, he didn't fall asleep. Just doing some snorkeling. swimming.JPG

This little garden snail thought he'd made it to a safe place.... whoops.
snail on head.JPG
And right after squirtle went for a much larger snail too!

unbroken snail.JPG

Everyone loves an action shot!eating snail.JPG

Heres the rest of his terrarium, he likes hiding in the large hole underneath the big log most of the time.

terrarium hide.JPG

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
There is an area where we can totally submerge, but he usually walks through it with his head held high. He seems to prefer only having his head under when his shell is almost completely out of the water.

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
This morning I was watching squirtle walk around in his pond. At the little stone bridge he was able to stand up and push the large stone with the top of his shell. I think he got stuck between the bridge and the stone in the river underneath it because I could see him pushing with his feet shifting the stone just before he flipped himself over onto the dirt behind the river somehow. I added a couple of bricks underneath the bridge to raise it up about 2 more inches so that he couldn't do it again, but if you plan on doing something similar I would make sure there is clearance so that your turtle can't drop the stone bridge down on himself. : )