New Russian tortoise owner

Lepawe

Location (City and/or State)
FL
I am feeding him a variety of foods, including potatoes, apples, parsley, dandelions, hibiscus. He has an enclosure outdoors in a grassy area as well. What are the best foods for him to eat?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
First, I'd start by reading this:

then read this one

They should not eat potatoes or apples at all...

Lepawe

FL
First, I'd start by reading this:

then read this one

They should not eat potatoes or apples at all...
Thank you for the info.

LR72

London, Enfield
I am feeding him a variety of foods, including potatoes, apples, parsley, dandelions, hibiscus. He has an enclosure outdoors in a grassy area as well. What are the best foods for him to eat?
Hey, I am also a new Russian tortoise owner. Download the Tortoise Table app on your phone and make sure what you are feeding your tortoise is safe. Potatoes, apples and parsley aren't really the best things you could be feeding them.

Right now I have to settle for grocery foods so I try to feed Sami Lamb's lettuce, a little bit of Kale, Romaine Lettuce and wild rocket.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
The thread linked will help you put things right for your tort and the section on how to raise a temperate species is especially for Russians and other Mediterranean species.
Tom has kindly collated all the information you need to save us searching through individual threads. Ask as many questions as you like you'll always get help.

Torts shouldn't have any fruit as their systems can't deal with sugars but all that will be dealt with in the thread for new keepers.
You may also find www.thetorotisetable.org.uk useful in helping to ID safe foods - but remember that safe foods aren't always good regular foods.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hey, I am also a new Russian tortoise owner. Download the Tortoise Table app on your phone and make sure what you are feeding your tortoise is safe. Potatoes, apples and parsley aren't really the best things you could be feeding them.

Right now I have to settle for grocery foods so I try to feed Sami Lamb's lettuce, a little bit of Kale, Romaine Lettuce and wild rocket.
You'll find some goof leaf mixes in bags of crispy leaf salads from Aldi, Lidl, Morrisons and Sainsbury if you want to add more variety.