New Russian Tort Owner

Krook

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hi everyone!
I got a Russian tortoise about a week ago from an old schoolmate. She had told me that the tortoise was female, but it has become clear to me that the tort is more than likely a he.
She had told me that he is a healthy 2yr old Russian female. However, now I am doubting everything she said. Here are pictures at different angles. I thought some tort geniuses here could help me out and give your opinion.
Does he look like a healthy 2 year old Russian?
Does his shell look healthy? There are a few spots that worry me.
I was thinking about applying some organic EVCO to his shell to shine him up and moisturize a bit.
Sorry for all the pics, I want to make sure he is healthy. I am a new tort mom and want to make sure I do this right!
(He just got out of his soak and running around on some towels on the bed for his photo shoot )

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472586939.353461.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472586956.676661.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472586966.809829.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472586977.362295.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472586986.245933.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472587021.718184.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472587031.535874.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472587040.336585.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That tortoise is way older than 2 years. It's probably full grown, so maybe 15 or 20 years? The rough-looking shell is nothing to worry about. Wild caught Russian tortoises are treated pretty rough and never get here looking pristine.

Krook

Wisconsin
That tortoise is way older than 2 years. It's probably full grown, so maybe 15 or 20 years? The rough-looking shell is nothing to worry about. Wild caught Russian tortoises are treated pretty rough and never get here looking pristine.
Thank you. I don't know what kind of information she got about him or where she got him. I know Russians don't get big, but he seems so tiny for 15-20 years. I have A LOT to learn! I'm so glad I found this forum

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi everyone!
I got a Russian tortoise about a week ago from an old schoolmate. She had told me that the tortoise was female, but it has become clear to me that the tort is more than likely a he.
She had told me that he is a healthy 2yr old Russian female. However, now I am doubting everything she said. Here are pictures at different angles. I thought some tort geniuses here could help me out and give your opinion.
Does he look like a healthy 2 year old Russian?
Does his shell look healthy? There are a few spots that worry me.
I was thinking about applying some organic EVCO to his shell to shine him up and moisturize a bit.
Sorry for all the pics, I want to make sure he is healthy. I am a new tort mom and want to make sure I do this right!
(He just got out of his soak and running around on some towels on the bed for his photo shoot )

View attachment 185275View attachment 185276View attachment 185277View attachment 185278View attachment 185279View attachment 185280View attachment 185281View attachment 185282

A very warm welcome to the forum.:tort:

Your tort looks fine. Give him daily soaks in warm water, make sure there's enough warmth and humidity, and ask any question if and when you need
help.:D

Any pics of his enclosure? ;)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Also, please read the "Beginners Mistakes Thread and the care sheet on Russian torts. :)

Krook

Wisconsin
A very warm welcome to the forum.:tort:

Your tort looks fine. Give him daily soaks in warm water, make sure there's enough warmth and humidity, and ask any question if and when you need
help.:D

Any pics of his enclosure? ;)
It is just the zoo med tortoise house. He was in a long but narrow glass aquarium when I got him. This is the best I could do at short notice in my apartment. When I get a house, I'd like to build my own enclosure :)

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472588578.210306.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
It is just the zoo med tortoise house. He was in a long but narrow glass aquarium when I got him. This is the best I could do at short notice in my apartment. When I get a house, I'd like to build my own enclosure :)

View attachment 185284

Please excuse my saying that it's far too small. (Sorry, don't mean to hurt you). Torts are used to living in the wild where they roam around as they please. Therefore it would be stressful for a tort to be placed in such a small enclosure.

Again, I apologize.

Krook

Wisconsin
It is 3ft x 2ft. I know it's not ideal. I'm hoping to build a big one myself. I've been checking out a lot of enclosures others have done.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Its small but you can make it work temporary. You could move out some of the stuff and open it up a little then get him plenty of outside time. Don't stress over it and yes torts are used to living in the wild but then again my Captive breed torts have no clue about the wild. Just do the best you can for the time being.

Krook

Wisconsin
Its small but you can make it work temporary. You could move out some of the stuff and open it up a little then get him plenty of outside time. Don't stress over it and yes torts are used to living in the wild but then again my Captive breed torts have no clue about the wild. Just do the best you can for the time being.
Thanks for the advice! I moved the log out of there to the other other side in the hide. It makes it all a lot more open for him to move around.