New Russian tort owner needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mnash0915

5 Year Member
I bought a Russian from a pet store 2 weeks ago and he is adorable ;). I have never had a tort before and my daughter and I are in love. He has a great personality and loves to be out of his house and walk around the house so he is getting plenty of exercise. I have done a ton of research so I know what kind of heat/light bulbs he needs and he has a nice tortoise house with a separate side to hide plus we take him out every 2 days to soak him. I keep him 95 degrees on one end and about 68 on the hiding end. He is friendly and likes to walk around the house and doesnt seem scared of us. Here is the problem. I have not seen him eat at all and it is really starting to worry me!!! I feed him every day at noon after he has made a few good laps aroud the living room. I have spring mix, carrots, turnip greens, and kale plus I have gathered some dandelions and clover from the yard and the occasional cherry tomato and a tiny bit of banana. I try to give him a good mix every day and I don't see him eat anything. He went to the bathroom in his bath a few days after he came home from the pet store and the a couple days ago there was a little waste in his water but not much. I am worried but I am new to this so any advice would be helpful. He is captive bred and he was eating in the pet store. I have talked to the clerk there a few times about the temps and what he was eating
Thank you!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! First thing...relax a bit! Going without food for even two weeks is not reason to panic quite yet. Not eating could be caused by stress. You said he was eating at the store? What were they feeding him? Have you ever tried to feed him after one of his warm water soaks? Those often get appetite going.

Mnash0915

5 Year Member
Thank you! He is just such a sweet little guy I don't want to do anything wrong. No I have no tried after a bath, I will try that thank you! And the store clerk did say he was eating but mostly pellet food and I didn't really want to get him started on that, I figured the fresh greens were much better
Thanks again! I appreciate the advice!! I will try a nice soak and some dandiallions tonight :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
While you may not like the pelleted food, you may need to add some to his food and slowly wean him off of the pellets. Just keep that in mind.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome
Tortoises (Russians especially) can be stubborn, right now time is what is most likely needed. A healthy tortoise won't starve itself to death, It will take time so relax ( I know hard to do when they are not eating) and enjoy your little guy.

Mnash0915

5 Year Member
Thank you both! And I hadn't thought about the pellets. Maybe I need to add a few to see what happens.
Could it be that he is slowing down because it is getting cold here too (southern Indiana)?
I don't think he wants to hibernate but I don't know how he reacted to last winter. Could he just slow down a bit in the winter months?
Thanks again everyone!!! I am so glad I ran across this forum!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Yes they can slow down even when heat is provided. I know of many people who even though they provide heat and light their russians (among others) will still slow down a bit.

Do you provide light? and if so for how long?

Mnash0915

5 Year Member
It is stressful!! I can't help worrying about him!! Hopefully they will both eat soon. Good luck!

Yes I do provide light from 7:30a-9:30p daily
Is that the correct period of time?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mnash0915:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

I think your best bet is to chop up the greens into very small pieces, then mix in the pelleted food. Go heavy on the pellets at first, slowly over time backing off a bit on them and increasing the greens. It may take a long time, but as long as he's eating, don't worry about it.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i would also let him adjust to his enclosure and not allow him to wander around the house. the house is cooler and probably messing up his rythm. He may be tame, or he may be scrurrying to try to hide and feel comfortable.
Try the pellets mixed with greens. You are right, the greens are better for him, but he donest know that..
Welcome!!
Pictures are much appreciated too! :)

Mnash0915

5 Year Member
Hi Yvonne! I'm Michelle :)
Thank you! I will try that! I'm going to run to petsmart tomorrow night and get the same pellets they were feeding him when they had him. They were also feeding him Romaine lettuce and cucumber and yellow squash. I am not sure about the cucumber and the squash, are they ok for him? I know he is a grassland and what I have read never mentioned anything about those foods for him.
Thanks again,
Michelle

Thank you Laura! I never thought about that! I thought he enjoyed it and I felt bad for him being I that house all day that I thought I was doing something good for him
Perhaps I should give him (Harry) a break and let him have a few weeks to get acclimated before I let him roam anymore. When he is eating well then he can roam free again :)

Where should I post pics? The photo gallery?

Mnash0915

5 Year Member
Thank you all so much for your help!! After all of my correspondence yesterday Harry decided to eat and he ate a ton!! He had a big salad of mixed greens and then today he had a nice soak and some more salad and some alfalfa! He also went to the bathroom and had a big drink. Then he walked around his 'house' and snuggled down and took a nap. He seems to be doing much better. I am going to get him some more substrate today to make it a little thicker for him and I didn't let him out to wonder around in the house today, we just left him in the tortoise house and he seems to be finally adapting well.
I think all of the suggestions were incredibly helpful!!! Thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.